The Launch Gloves palm and fingers use Clarino synthetic leather, which is soft and durable, and the back uses a combination of Airprene, Nylon, Polyester, synthetic leather and Spandex in different sections, depending on the required functionality. I had to look up what the heck Airpene was, and it’s a breathable elastometric material? On the heel of the palm, there is a small gel pad, that offers a tad of comfort, and is thin enough not to be overwhelming, or to lose tactile sensitivity. The outside of the thumb has a soft microfiber section, which was extremely functional for wiping up sweat, and other bodily fluids. The index and middle finger have some lightning bolt sections of Silicone screening for gripping, which worked great for braking and shifting. Between the thumb and index finger, they doubled up the Clarino, for durability and robustness, but I found it too thick, and it sometimes caused irritation and discomfort in that inner fleshly part of the hand.
The gloves take some time to break in, and were tight and slightly stiff during initial usage. After they’re worn in, they are a pretty comfortable glove, without any bind spots, or odd sensation on the fingers, like your finger tips falling asleep. They have a Velcro strap to tighten them down, but there is nothing to grab onto to pull the darn things off, so they are annoyingly difficult to remove with a glove finger. They need some sort of tab or something to pull on, else it takes some fine motor skills to pull them off. They need to revisit the design on this, as the usage is extremely poor.
I am a glove destroyer, and they have performed pretty decently for the abuse I have tossed at them. The palm and fingers have been robust, and the Silicone is just not starting to flake off on the finger tips. Unfortunately, both gloves have torn and the hemming has detached in the section of the hook and loop closure.
The Launch Gloves are comfortable, and the palm and fingers have been durable, but the lack of a pull tab for the hook and closure and the tearing and detached hem in the same area are a major bummer in a glove of this caliber.
- Palms and fingers are tough
- Lack of tab for hook and loop closure
- Both gloves tore and hem detached by hook and loop closure
- Doubled up leather section between thumb and index finger can irritate
Overall Rating: 3.5 Flamin’ Chili Peppers
- MSRP: $38
- Visit the Pearl Izumi Launch Glove website
- Collection Style no. 14141105
- Clarino™ synthetic leather palm is soft and durable
- Gel pad in heel of palm for comfort in the rough
- Innovative palm patterning reduces bunching for a performance grip
- Soft, low-profile wiping surface on thumb
- Silicone-screened finger tips for a performance grip
- Hook and loop closure
- Palm: 90% synthetic leather 10% airprene
- Back: 35% airprene 26% nylon 20% polyester 15% synthetic leather 4% spandex
- Colors: Black, Coffee, Foothills Green/Khaki