Freeride, 180mm travel
2012 Norco Truax
The Norco Truax was introduced in mid-2011 and is the evolution of Norco’s iconic Shore series of freeride mountain bikes. The original Norco Shores were some of the true beasts of the freeride scene that exploded in the late 1990s and early 2000s and, while they were solid bikes that could handle the abuse that most riders threw at them, they were also heavy and overbuilt because of the conditions that they were forced to endure.
Fast forward a few years and freeride trails have morphed into flowing lines with big jumps and steep, gnarly descents, and it’s on these types of trails that the Truax was designed to tackle. Equipped with Norco’s ART suspension system, the Truax can be pedaled to the trailhead and then pointed downhill for grin-inducing descents. Like the Norco Shore that preceded it, the Truax is a burly frame, but it also includes many of the technological advances that are seen on the newest bikes in the 2012 lineup. The coil rear shocks on all of the models are connected to Norco’s stiff Holloform ® link arm and all of the seatstay pivots feature Norco’s clevisless pivot system that is lighter and stiffer than a more traditional pivot system.
At the rear of the bike, the Truax uses the Syntace X12 142mm x 12mm axle system, which is more precise and easier to handle than a traditional 150mm x 12mm thru axle setup. The integrated derailleur hanger that is used on the frame is stronger and stiffer than the relatively flimsy hangers that have been used up until this point, and this feature contributes to better shifting and fewer failures on the trail.
Key features on the Truax:
- Three trim levels (LE, 1, 2) priced between $6899 USD and $3550 USD
- Claimed bike weights of between 33lbs and 36lbs
- 180mm of rear wheel travel designed around Norco’s ART suspension technology
- 180mm forks with 20mm axles on all trim levels
- Holloform ® link arm mated with coil shocks on all models
- Syntace X12 142mm x 12mm axle system
- Custom hydroformed frame tubing
- Clevisless pivot system reduces weight and increases stiffness while being easy to maintain
- Custom stainless steel hardware
- Integrated ICSG 05 mounts
- 2×10 chainsets (with bashguard) and 11-36t cassettes
- 200mm / 180mm brake rotors on front / rear
- Direct mount E-type front derailleur located on chainstay
- Wide (760mm) bars with low rise
- Wide (29mm) double wall rims with meaty 2.35” dual ply tires