A really cool video was created by Bike Magazine as they interviewed the engineers behind the new pedal.
The key mallet dh/race features are:
- new design, familiar shape / The mallet dh/race has the same profile as the original mallet, with many new design features and all of the improvements of the new pedal line.
- improved mud clearance / The redesigned body is more open, reducing weight and improving mud shedding.
- more traction pins / The mallet dh/race has eight adjustable traction pins, while the original mallet had only six.
- lighter weight / Increased machining and a redesigned internal shape reduces weight.
- wider q-factor / The q-factor is increased a total of 10mm (5mm per spindle) to allow for a wider stance and better crank clearance with flat riding shoes.
- stronger spindle and spring / The redesigned spindle tests to be 50% stronger than the previous design, and the reverse-wound, over sized springs are virtually unbreakable.
- better sealing / New construction eliminates leak paths and greatly improves sealing.