Pivot has hit a few out of the park recently. The Mach 4 and Mach 429 Trail were well-sorted bikes that were more capable than what their 115mm of travel would suggest. Pivot followed that up with the Switchblade, a 135mm bruiser with on-point geometry and versatile wheel size capabilities, which netted a huge sweet spot.
But what if Pivot actually blended all this new geometry and DW-Link suspension refinement with a bike that actually had significant travel? The Pivot Firebird is the answer with 170mm of front and rear travel. Now, we can actually find out what capabilities this platform can really handle.
What is it?
The Firebird now features Pivot Phoenix DH-inspired long reach measurements combined with a 65-degree head angle to deliver stability and handling.
For enduro racers, the tough and light Firebird’s climbing traction, descending capability, and good acceleration make it a good choice for the steep Enduro World Series course. For park riders, the Firebird’s long front-center and short chainstay combination provides that nimble, snappy feel that encourages bold line choices while staying fully in control at high speeds.
Pivot Firebird Features
- Full carbon frame featuring Pivot’s proprietary hollow core internal molding technology
- Phoenix DH-influenced long and low geometry
- Short 430mm (16.95”) chainstays
- 170mm dw-link rear suspension with upper clevis and linkage and double wishbone rear triangle
- FOX Float Factory X2 rear shock
- 170mm Fox 36 Factory fork
- 27.5 wheel compatible, fits tires up to 2.5” tires
- Boost spacing front and rear
- Front derailleur compatible with Pivot’s stealth E-Type mounting system.
- 180mm rear post mounts (no adaptor required)
- Pivot Cable Port system for easy internal routing of shifters, brakes and droppers and full Di2 Integration
- Internal dropper post compatible
- Cold forged alloy linkages with Enduro Max cartridge bearings
- New quieter rubberized frame protection
- Available in sizes S, M, L, XL for riders between 5’4″ to 6’7”
Taking a page from the Phoenix DH Carbon’s progressive geometry, the Firebird features some of the longest reach measurements we’ve seen. That’s combined with stubby 16.95” chainstays. The resulting long front-center keeps the front wheel in contact with the trail on the ups and gives the Firebird a well balanced, highly capable technical climbing ability over rough terrain.
When descending, the Firebird’s long and low geometry puts the rider “in” the bike for increased stability at high speeds and on steep technical challenges, while the short chainstay measurements provide a maneuverable, dynamic ride that makes it easy to put the bike where you want it.
Dave Weagle, the brains behind dw‐link and Chris Cocalis, Pivot’s president and founder, collaborate on every Pivot suspension design. For the Firebird Carbon, they have created a bike that uses the best attributes of the dw‐link for improved downhill and climbing performance. With the dw‐link’s anti squat and variable wheel travel path, Pivot was able to optimize the Firebird’s rearward axle path in the first third of the travel to provide better square edge bump absorption (similar to the Phoenix DH bike) with pedaling efficiency similar to the Mach 6. This ensures that the new Firebird Carbon both descends and pedals well.
The Firebird is spec’d with the Fox Float X2 factory shock. This choice is based directly on feedback from our top racers – the Fox Float X2 air shock offers incredible control and a plusher feel allowing riders to go faster with greater confidence. The X2 shock features independent high and low speed compression and rebound adjustments, an EVOL air sleeve for coil shock-like sensitivity, Kashima coating and the X2’s new RVS (Rod Valve System) for damping control and a plush ride. Between the high low speed compression and rebound adjustments, as well as air spring and air volume adjust. The Fox Float X2 is highly tunable shock for the entire ranges of rider weights and course conditions. To match the Firebird’s rear suspension, Pivot paired it with the newest 170mm Fox 36 Factory boost fork.