The USA Cycling Pro Gravity Tour (Pro GRT) continued with its fourth race over the weekend, the Mountain States Cup – Chile Challenge in Angel Fire, N.M. Logan Binggeli (Saint George, Utah/KHS) descended to victory in the pro men’s race while Jacqueline Harmony (Sedona, Ariz./IXS-510-Smith Optics) earned the women’s win; both taking over second place in the overall standings.
Binggeli edged second-place finisher Ben Furbee(Los Osos, Calif./KHS) by just over one second, covering the approximately 1,000 feet of descent in 5:46.14. Mitch Ropelato (Ogden, Utah/Specialized USA Gravity) completed the run down Angel Fire in 5:48.79 to earn the bronze.
With the victory Binggeli moved into second position in the overall standings, 70 points behind overall world cup leader Aaron Gwin (Temecula, Calif./Trek World Racing) who has won two of the four Pro GRT races thus far. Gwin’s teammate Justin Leov (NZL/Trek World Racing) holds a firm grasp on third-place in the Pro GRT’s overall with four of six races completed.
Harmony ran away with the women’s victory at Chile Challenge, besting her closest competitor by 17 seconds.Wendy Palmer (Moab, Utah/Chile Bieks-Shamano-Fox-Sombrio) clocked a time of 6:54.25 to earn second place while Katy Hanlon (Avon, Colo./Mojo Wheels-Monster-Nema-Spy Optics) was third.
With the win Harmony propelled herself into second place in the overall standings, 55 points behind Lauren Daney (Stafford, Va./DRD Intense) who holds the Pro GRT lead with two races remaining.
USA Cycling Pro GRT Standings:
1. Aaron Gwin (Temecula, Calif./Trek World Racing) – 160
2. Logan Binggeli (Saint George, Utah/KHS) – 90
3. Justin Leov (NZL/Trek World Racing) – 82
4. Phil Kmetz (Keene, N.H./Von Cooper) – 60
4. Steve Smith (Nanimo, CAN/Devinci Global Racing) – 60
1. Lauren Daney (Stafford, Va./DRD Intense) – 128
2. Jacqueline Harmony (Sedona, Ariz./IXS-510-Smith Optics) – 72
3. Joanna Petterson (Jericho, Vt./Nema Maxxis) – 65
4. Amber Price (Westiminister, Colo./Royal Racing USA) – 61
5. Jill Kintner (Seattle, Wash./Team Norco International) – 60
For complete standings, visit the Pro GRT’s official webpage at usacycling.org/progrt.
The Pro GRT will move back to N.Y. for its fifth of six stops, the Whiteface Pro GRT 5K Downhill, June 16 – 17 in Wilmington, N.Y.