CamelBak has been making some incredible new features in their latest hydration packs. First, the Antidote bladder makes filling and cleaning super easy. Then, the lumbar packs are comfortable and provide freedom of movement by moving the position of where the water is carried. But the one feature that was always missing from CamelBak packs that other brands offered, was a better back panel to provide air flow and articulation. CamelBak has just solved that for 2013.
Seth shows us some highlights of CamelBak’s latest offerings for 2013 with the brand new Volt 13 LR, the updated Charge LR and the M.U.L.E. NV with the new NV back panel technology for improved air flow and pack articulation. Also updated this year, is a very simple, but effective helmet hook on all packs.
We have been using the lumbar mounted bladders for a year now and if you haven’t tried one of these packs yet, you really should. They really free up your back and give you a “lighter” feel (the water load is carried lower on your body) that really makes a difference. We also had a chance to do a few runs down the mountains in Park City, UT with the 2013 MULE NV and found it to be a great pack with lots of storage options and a very easy to use bladder system. The NV back panel really does articulate well and air flow between your sweaty back and the pack is vastly improved. The only drawback I could find with the new packs is that the articulating panels do add a certain amount of weight. If you desire better airflow but don’t need the articulating panels (and the extra storage space), the Volt and the simpler “XV” back panel may be more to your liking.
Volt 13 LR
- 100 oz lumbar based
- Ultralight material
- New antidote 100z lumbar reservoir – 3 liters of water
- Low-profile fit
- Rear loading access through back panel
- Brand new NV back panel technology for 2013
- Raised pods that articulate with your back and each pod itself articulates on panel
- Cross channel air flow, vertical flow through the pods
- Whole pack bends with your back
- Brand new helmet hook
- One of the best selling packs
- Practical for any type riding
- 70oz pack launched last year
- Updated with rear lumbar access