The 2011 Fox 36 TALAS 160 FIT RLC is an excellent fork, that is highly engineered, and nice set of features and functionality. The TALAS can change from 160mm to 120mm of travel on the fly, for great versatility, between steep climbs and bombing downhill. The new FIT RLC damper is light, with low friction and linear damping properties, and offers adjustments for low-speed compression, rebound and lockout, which is useful for smooth trails and fire roads. The slippery Kashima coating offers an excellent ride, with a noticeable buttery feel and an increase in durability. The stout 36mm stanchions and the QR20mm system combine to give an impressively rigid front end, with precise control and no discernible flex. The travel stroke offers a nice small bump compliance, a stiff mid strike for great technical control, and a plush big hitter for an enjoyable flight down obstacles.
It would be nice if the stiff mid stroke could be softened slightly, since it was often fatiguing. The 120mm lower travel setting seemed somewhat extreme in most climbs, and a slight increase would be a welcome compromise. Some may find the switch to RLC instead of RC2 unwanted, and though it does make some minor compromises, it can delve into Trail and All Mountain usage, and remain a light fork with excellent climbing characteristics, and still take a licking on technical terrain, and I think this fork does a great job melding those multiple worlds?
The 2011 Fox 36 TALAS 160 FIT RLC is a pretty sweet fork, that is well made, with plenty of great features that are suited to technical riding in All Mountain conditions.
- Stiff: 36mm stanchions, 20mm axle
- TALAS adjustability of 160-120
- Excellent large bump plushness
- Slippery and durable Kashima coating
- Overly stiff mid stroke
- 120mm setting is too extreme for most climbs
- Unable to extract full travel (common to most forks)
MSRP: $1035 – $1050
Overall Rating: 4 Flamin’ Chili Peppers
Visit the Fox 36 TALAS 160 website at http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/36_TALAS
36 TALAS 160 FIT RLC Specs
- Travel: 2 position 120mm / 160mm
- Spring: Air
- Adjustment: Low-speed compression, lever actuated lockout, lockout force adjust, Travel TALAS two-position, air spring pressure and rebound
- Steerer: 1 1/8″ straight and 1 1/8″ to 1.5″ tapered
- Inner Stanchion: 36mm Kashima Coat
- Brake Mounting: Post style
- Dropouts: 20mm Thru Axle
- Damper: FIT – Fox Internal Technology
- Weight: 4.67 lbs / 2.12 kg