The inside of the helmet uses their X-Static padding, which dried quickly and wicked well, and was adequately comfortable, but was a bit on the thin side, and a touch more thickness would be preferable. They also need to add some padding in the rear, especially by the Roc Loc 5 system, as it can be irritating if you’re bald, have thin hair or don’t wear a skull cap. The padding is made with 99.9% pure silver, and has anti-microbial and anti-odor properties to keep the helmet fresh, so it doesn’t get the funk, and they’re removable and machine washable.
The bell winner for this helmet is their P.O.V. adjustable visor system, which uses an internal clutch mechanism that allows 15-degrees of vertical rotation. It’s a pretty darn sweet feature, and it was nice to alter the tilt for varying light conditions and the type of terrain being ridden. The 15 degree’s meant it could be pushed down for good extended coverage, or rolled up out of the field of vision. I really liked that I could have it lowered for long climbs and the flats for maximum protection, to keep the sun out of my eyes and off my face, and then I could roll it up for technical terrain or going downhill, when you wanted a spacious and panoramic field of view.
Weight (size Large)- 356.5 grams
The XAR is a great helmet, that is comfortable, with excellent safety features, and has a good fit adjustment system, which uses a combination of the Roc Loc 5 and the chin strap, to work in synergy, and provide a secure and solid fit. The wheel on the Roc Loc 5 needs to be enlarged, since it’s difficult to use with gloved hands. The prize winner on the XAR is the P.O.V. adjustable visor, which is functional and highly useful. The ventilation system with the 17 Wind Tunnel vents does a good job of moving air through the helmet, especially when moving with some speed. The X-Static padding wicks and dries perspiration, but it’s on the thin side for maximum comfort, and needs to be added to a portion of the Roc Loc 5.
- P.O.V. adjustable visor system
- Chin strap side clasps
- Safety features – liner Roll Cage and three piece shell
- Good Ventilation
- Roc Loc 5 adjuster wheel is too small
- X-Static padding is too thin
- Needs padding on the Roc Loc 5 system
MSRP – $130
Overall Rating: 4 Flamin’ Chili Peppers
Giro XAR Specs:
- Visit the Giro XAR website at http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/cycling-helmets/xar.html
- All Mountain, trail riding, Endurace/Marathon XC, Super D
- In-mold EPS liner w/ polycarbonate shell – This process fuses the helmet’s outer shell with its impact-absorbing EPS liner. It allows the XAR to be lighter, more durable and better ventilated.
- Roll Cage – This reinforcement is a tough web of DuPont Nylon molded inside the helmet’s EPS foam liner. It provides an extra measure of strength and integrity that you’ll never notice unless you need it.
- Hardbodies – The XAR molds three, separate outer shells to the EPS foam liner. This complex construction keep the foam protected from scratches and abrasions.
- P.O.V. adjustable visor – This visor is anchored by a patented internal clutch mechanism that allows 15-degrees of tool-free, on the fly vertical adjustment. Best of all, it won’t rattle or come loose over rough terrain.
- X-Static Padding – In addition to being very comfortable, our X-Static pads provide anti-microbial properties to help keep your helmet fresher, longer. The pads are also easily removable and machine washable.
- Roc Loc 5 – This helmet stabilization system allows you to easily dial-in both helmet fit tension and adjust vertical position wit a single hand
- 17 Wind Tunnel vents, internal channeling – This design combines active vents with internal exhaust channels that thrust fresh, cool air over your head while forcing heat and stale air out.
- Colors – Black with Cyan/Lime lines, Matte Black with Gray bars, Metallic Orange with Blue/Yellow lines, Matte Metallic Brown with Orange bars, Matte White with Gray bars.
- Sizes – Small 20″- 21.75″ (51-55cm), Medium 21.75″ – 23.25″ (55-59 cm), Large 23.25″-24.75 (59-63 cm)
- MSRP – $130