Colorado Springs, Colo. (July 1, 2012) –– Aaron Gwin (Temecula, Calif./Trek World Racing) recorded his fourth consecutive world cup downhill victory on Sunday at the RockyRoads.net UCI Mountain Bike World Cup Presented by Shimano in Windham, N.Y. His victory at the Windham World Cup helped him grow his overall series lead to a near-insurmountable 195 points with only two events remaining.
Gwin, the last rider of the day, finished the 1.8-kilometer course in 2:26.416, besting Steve Smith’s (CAN/Devinci Gobal Racing) time by less than one second and removing him from the hot seat. The win meant Gwin, who won the overall UCI Mountain Bike World Cup in 2011, increased his lead in the 2012 World Cup standings to 195 points over South Africa’s Greg Minaar (RSA/Santa Cruz Syndicate) who finished ninth.
In the women’s downhill race, Jacqueline Harmony (Sedona, Ariz.) posted the top American result with a 12th place finish, approximately 14 seconds behind Rachel Atherton (GBR/GT Factory Racing) who covered the 394 meters of vertical drop in 2:52.02.
The pro men’s and women’s downhill races wrapped up the 2012 Windham Mountain Bike World Cup, in Windham, N.Y.
UCI Mountain Bike World Cup
Windham Mountain, N.Y.
June 30 – July 1, 2012
Elite Men’s Downhill
1. Aaron Gwin (Temecula, Calif./Trek World Racing) 2:26.416
2. Steve Smith (CAN/Devinci Global Racing) +0.958
3. Gee Atherton (GBR/GT Factory Racing) +1.711
15. Richard Rude Jr. (Redding, Conn./Yeti Fox Shox Factory Race Team) +4.776
23. Mitch Ropelato (Ogden, Utah/Monster Energy-Specialized) +7.192
25. Luke Strobel (Issaquah, Wash.) +7.982
28. Eliot Jackson (Westlake Village, Calif./Yeti Fox Shox Factory Race Team) +8.051
36. Neko Mulally (Reading, Pa./Trek World Racing) +8.689
40. Austin Warren (Alpine, Calif./DRD Intense) +9.511
53. Kevin Aiello (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) +12.289
57. Duncan Riffle (Santa Barbara, Calif./Dirt Norco Race Team) +12.657
Elite Women’s Downhill
1. Rachel Atherton (GBR/GT Factory Racing) 2:52.02
2. Tracey Hannah (AUS/Hutchinson United Ride) +0.262
3. Emmeline Ragot (FRA/MS Mondraker Team) +0.307
12. Jacqueline Harmony (Sedona, Ariz.) +14.090
20. Jamie Rees (Spokanne, Wash./Bike Hub Racing) +42.428
Source: Andrea Smith