The USA Cycling Pro Gravity Tour (Pro GRT) continued with its third race over the weekend at the Eastern States Cup-Plattekill Pro GRT Fox Racing Shox Gravity Open. Aaron Gwin (Temecula, Calif./Trek World Racing) and Lauren Daney (Stafford, Va./DRD Intense) descended to victory in Roxbury, N.Y. on Sunday to grow their leads in the Pro GRT overall.
Gwin edged teammate Justin Leov (NZL/Trek World Racing) for the win; racing down the steep northface trail at Plattekill’s bike park less than one second faster than Leov. Just five seconds off Gwin’s winning pace, Phillip Kmetz (Keen, N.H./Voncooper) earned the bronze-medal to move him in to third place in the overall standings, behind Gwin and Leov. With his fourth-place finish at Plattekill Gavin Vaughn (Sharon, Vt./Von Cooper) moved into the Pro GRT’s top five just behind Steve Smith (Nanimo, CAN/Devinci Global Racing) who currently holds a tie with Kmetz for third.
In the women’s race at Plattekill, it was a battle between the Pro GRT’s number one and number two, Lauren Daney (Stafford, Va./DRD Intense) and Joanna Petterson (Jericho, Vt./Nema Maxxis). Daney descended the women’s course in 2:49.53, nearly three seconds faster then Petterson’s 2:51.52, for the victory. With the win, Daney exteneded her Pro GRT lead to 63 points, while Petterson holds a slight lead for second over former 4X world champ Jill Kintner (Seattle, Wash./Team Norco International) who was racing abroad.
The Pro GRT races were a part of the long-standing Eastern States Cup series.
USA Cycling Pro GRT Standings:
1. Aaron Gwin (Temecula, Calif./Trek World Racing) – 160
2. Justin Leov (NZL/Trek World Racing) – 82
3. Phil Kmetz (Keene, N.H./Von Cooper) – 60
3. Steve Smith (Nanimo, CAN/Devinci Global Racing) – 60
5. Gavin Vaughn (Sharon, Vt./Von Cooper) – 45
1. Lauren Daney (Stafford, Va./DRD Intense) – 128
2. Joanna Petterson (Jericho, Vt./Nema Maxxis) – 65
3. Jill Kintner (Seattle, Wash./Team Norco International) – 60
4. Kate Parhiala (Arlington, Mass./Wachusett Brew-One Industries) – 48
5. Miranda Miller (CAN/SantaCruz-SRAM) – 40
5. Elinor Wesner (Wappingers Falls, N.Y.) – 40
For complete standings, visit the Pro GRT’s official webpage at usacycling.org/progrt.
The Pro GRT will move west for its fourth stop, the Mountain States Cup – Chile Challenge, set for Angel Fire, N.M. on June 9-10.
Source: Andrea Smith