In preparation for launching a Canadian Trail Care Crew Program, IMBA Canada is seeking applications for a full time, professional two-person team of trail leaders. Modeled after the highly successful U.S. Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew, the dynamic team will travel across Canada, providing education and trailbuilding workshops to clubs, trail users, and land management personnel.
This position requires a passion for mountain biking and other trail-based recreation, excellent communication and volunteer organizational skills, basic knowledge of trailwork, and team compatibility. The Crew will travel nearly all year in an official IMBA Canada vehicle.
Although the position is not for everyone, couples that enjoy travel and adventure, love to work outside and want to help improve trails and mountain biking are encouraged to apply. IMBA Canada is asking the Crew make a 24-month commitment.
Due to the tight timeline of the program, IMBA Canada is asking potential Crews to send in their applications AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, with the final deadline being April 18, 2010. Questions should be directed to Lora Woolner, IMBA Canada executive director.
• Lead IMBA Canada Trailbuilding Schools designed for mountain bikers, other trail users and land management agency personnel.
• Lead volunteer trailwork projects involving members of IMBA-affiliated mountain bike clubs, other trail users, and land managers.
• Lead IMBA Club Care presentations designed to educate mountain bikers and all trail users on the basics of establishing and operating a successful club.
• Conduct National Mountain Bike Patrol training sessions.
• Meet with mountain bikers, land managers and other trail user groups to share trailbuilding expertise on design and construction of new trails, and maintenance and restoration of existing trails.
• Help solve trail management challenges through sharing information about successful trail design philosophy and construction techniques.
• Help IMBA Canada-affiliated clubs build their capacity by providing feedback on their existing practices and suggesting areas for growth and improvement.
• Represent IMBA Canada and its partners at select festivals and events throughout the year.
• Communicate regularly by phone and email with the Canadian Trail Care Crew program coordinator.
• Communicate regularly with local volunteers at upcoming visit locations.
• Submit stories and photos from the road on a regular basis for the IMBA Canada website and blog.
• Submit short written pieces for IMBA Trail News (topics will be assigned by IMBA Canada).
• Represent IMBA Canada, the Trail Care Crew program, its supporters, and the sport of mountain biking in a positive, professional manner at all times.
The ideal candidates bring these qualities to the position:
• Passion for mountain biking and trails.
• A very strong relationship with your spouse/long-time significant other (who will be your partner in this job) and the ability to spend a great deal of time with each other.
• A sense of adventure.
• Strong degree of flexibility.
• A positive attitude.
• Excellent communication skills.
• The ability to be diplomatic in contentious situations.
• Public speaking skills, especially in front of large groups.
• Computer savvy (ideal candidate will be proficient with Macintosh computers, software applications including Word, Excel, Mail, iCal, and proficient using the internet and email, Photoshop).
• Experience working with volunteers.
• Basic knowledge of trail design, construction and maintenance practices and techniques.
• Bilingualism in French a definite asset.
IMBA Canada will provide:
• A monthly salary, plus a travel and living expense stipend.
• Comprehensive medical and dental benefits.
• Use of an official IMBA Canada vehicle.
Please send a cover letter and resumes by April 18, 2010 at midnight EST to Lora Woolner at firstname.lastname@example.org, or to IMBA Canada, PO Box 23034, Kitchener, ON, N2B 3V1. Reference checks and interviews will be conducted the week of April 19. The selected applicants will start work in May 2010 and should be available for the IMBA Summit in Augusta, Georgia May 5 to 8.