Jet lites does not mess around. The proprietor, David Joseph solves problems then he iterates over and over until the solution is as good as can be for his customers. He pays deep respects to the work of the founder Jim Taylor as he keeps Jim’s legacy alive with quality and safety for the mountain biker.
We spent hours talking to David on the phone and many months testing his lights.Some of the highlights we’ve noticed are:
- Lights are designed and manufactured in the USA
- Casing is CNC’d to the highest standards to be durable and to have the best heat dissipation
- LEDs and boards are optimized to transfer heat efficiently to the casing and protect the LED
- Electronics protect the LED from overheating
- Batteries are tested and the best available are used.
- Handlebar mount is quick release and can hold two light heads. Adaptors may be available to mount a GoPro or Contour camera in the future.
- Helmet mount features a breakaway design to protect the rider’s neck in the event of a crash.
- Charges are well designed and extremely safe. They optimize safety of the user and long life of the battery.
So what’s not to like? It’s US made, well designed by a company that knows their stuff and backs up the product for years to come. Jet Lites, based in Reno Nevada is conservative about making claims about their products and they always try to ensure their customers are taken care of. They’re very active in the local mountain biking scene too as they support local groups, events and festivals.
So is the light any good? That’s where mtbr comes in. We’ve ridden this light and the predecessor A-51 for many miles. The design is solid as the light is robust and the mount is one of the best. This version of the light comes with the latest CREE XM-L led and that really is the brightest emitter available today. We ride, measure, ride photograph. Read on and find out.
- Price: $200.00
- Claimed Lumens: 1000 Lumens
- Light Head Weight: 92.5 grams
- Installed Weight: n/a grams
- Run Time: n/a hours
- Measured MTBR Lux: 72 Lux
- Measured Lumens: n/a Lumens
The light can be mounted with the robust handlebar center-mounts from Jet. These mounts are extremely high quality and place the light right over the stem. There is a single mount and a dual mount version and both are center mounted with the highest quality plastics we’ve seen in this shootout
Mtbr Lights Shootout Main Page »
2012 Bike Lights Shootout »
Backyard Beam Pattern Comparisons »
Trail Beam Pattern Comparisons »
Light Meter Measurements »
Mtbr Lights Reviews »
Mtbr Lights Forum »