The USA Cycling Pro Mountain Bike Ultra Endurance Tour (Pro UET) continued with its third event, the Big Bear 50, on Sunday in Lake Morena, Calif. With wins at Big Bear, David “Tinker” Juarez (Whittier, Calif./Cannondale Factory) regained the men’s Pro UET lead and Monique ‘Pua’ Mata (Anaheim, Calif./Team Sho-Air Specialized) added more padding to her commanding lead on the women’s side.
After skipping the series’ second round Juarez showed why he is a legend at 51, taking his second Pro UET victory on the season and regaining the overall lead on Sunday. Juarez was challenged heavily throughout the 50-mile race by U23 prospect Brendon Davids (RSA/Sho-Air – Specialized). The veteran eventually used his knowledge of the endurance format to dislodge Davids late in the second and final lap to take a 35 second victory. Ryan Clark (Laguna Hills, Calif./Surf City Cycles/CAS) put on a solid ride in third place and moved himself into fifth in the overall standings, while Joel Titius (Corona, Calif.) and Kip Biese (Colorado Springs, Colo./KJ Bike Coaching) rounded out the top five in Big Bear.
The reigning Pro UET champion, Mata collected her third straight 2012 Pro UET victory on the season and took a commanding lead after three of five events. Mata flexed her muscles at Big Bear, besting second-place finisher Jessica Noyola (Encinitas, Calif./Cal Coast Bikes) by more than 16 minutes. With another solid third-place finish, Tonya Bray (Altadena, Calif./MTBchick.com) moved into second overall, 120 points behind Mata.
USA Cycling Pro UET Standings:
1. David “Tinker” Juarez (Whittier, Calif./Cannondale Factory) – 120
2. Eric Bostrom (Westlake Village, Calif./Team Sho-Air-Specialized) – 97
3. Brendon Davids (RSA/Sho-Air – Specialized)- 80
4. Kip Biese (Colorado Springs, Colo.) – 66
5. Ryan Clark (Laguna Hills, Calif./Surf City Cycles/CAS) – 55
1. Monique ‘Pua’ Mata (Anaheim, Calif./Team Sho-Air Specialized) – 180
2. Tonya Bray (Altadena, Calif./MTBchick.com) – 60
3. Sarah Jansen (Randho Santa Margarity, Calif.) – 40
3. Jessica Noyola (Encinitas, Calif./Cal Coast Bikes) – 40
3. Andrea Wilson (Cordova, Tenn./Mid South Velo) – 40
For complete standings, visit the Pro UET’s official webpage at usacycling.org/prouet.
Source: Andrea Smith