LifeProof recently released a bike and bar mount for their iPhone LifeProof case, which is a waterproof, snowproof, dustproof and shockproof case. The new mount fits a wide range of bike and motorsport bars, so you can take your iPhone on and off road, and into adverse conditions and environments. The synchronicity of the case and mount, allow you to use cycling GPS apps and normal mobile usage while riding a bike, extending the usefulness of your iPhone.
LifeProof Bike & Bar Mount
The mount is made from a tough high-impact resistant plastic, and it snugly cradles the iPhone case on its back, corners and top edge, without any undue movement. It clamps down with an easy to use handlebar clamp that has three rubber size adapters for varying bar thickness. The thinnest adapter will allow it clamp to fit onto most stems, though I was unable to use it on any of my oversize or irregular shaped stems, as it was too narrow for them.
It pivots and locks down using a ball and socket gimbal system, much like a RAM mount, so the angle can easily be adjusted for personal preferences. It was simple to pop the iPhone in and out of the unit using the top clip-in clasp, as well as the handlebar clamp, making for easy swap outs. It also didn’t need to be over tightened to keep it from moving, but the mount and iPhone aren’t that heavy, so nothing was really torquing things around much. I banged it around on some ugly heinous terrain, through teeth jarring rock gardens, in which the unit was subjected to some severe oscillations, and the iPhone remained rock solid and stable in the mount. Although the mount is designed specifically for their case, other rugged and durable iPhone case types might also fit, but I didn’t test them for sizing constraints nor fit.
- Bar mount – 69.6 grams + 10.2 grams or 8.4 grams or 3.7 grams for each adapter band
The unit is robust, easy to use and adjust, and held their iPhone case in a secure and stable manner, though it would be nice to have a way to attach it to oversize mountain-bike stems. I liked how simple it was to pop the case out of the unit, and that it went right back in and remained sturdy and immobile. I crashed a number of times and hit the mount pretty hard, and although it tweaked it out of position, it didn’t cause any damage. I was truly amazed how freakin’ secure and bombproof this held the case, even on the most rugged and gnarly trails, and it never seemed to waver out of place and remained stable, and it retails for a decent $39.95.
- Durable and rugged
- Easy to use – bar clamp and case
- Adaptable to multiple bar sizes
- Secure and stable
- It won’t fit irregular and oversize stems
- Designed for their iPhone case – not tested with other cases?
Overall Rating: 5 Flamin’ Chili Peppers
Follow Brian Mullin at http://www.gramslightbikes.com
LifeProof Bike and Bar Mount Specs:
- MSRP: $39.95
- Website: http://www.lifeproof.com/lifeproof-store/apple-accessories/bike-mount
- Light weight honeycomb construction with premium high-impact materials for optimal strength to weight ration
- Accepts LifeProof iPhone 4 + iPhone 4S case
- Use your performance and navigation apps in real-time
- All buttons and features accessible in mount, including speaker and microphone.
- Fits wide range of bars and bar-stems
- Adjustable for portrait or landscape orientation
- One-handed release latch for fast insertion and removal of LifeProof case
- Integrated lock switch to prevent unwanted removal of iPhone.
- Rear camera compatible – can be adjusted to vertical angle suitable for video recording activities
- Accepts phone facing in or out
- Compatible with Bluetooth headsets
- Gimbal ball-head allows for the fine adjustment of viewing angle
- Suitable for any use in any weather, seawater, dirt, and snow, including high vibration environments