LifeProof iPhone Case
The LifeProof iPhone 4/4S case is waterproof, snowproof, dustproof and shockproof, and protects the iPhone from abusive encounters with the environment and anything else you can toss at it. The case is around 1/16 inch thick, so it adds a tad more thickness than most other brands, but offers far more robustness and durability. The iPhone inserts tightly into the case, and then gets squeezed in snugly when the halves are closed together, and it takes some decent compression to get all the edges snapped completely shut and seal the waterproof gasket. Once everything is closed up tight, the case is immune to the average hazards tossed at it. To reopen the case, use a quarter or nickel to pry it open, and then it can be peeled apart, and the phone can be popped out. I opened and closed the case quite a few times, and it’s a pretty simple affair to do, just make sure the gasket is clean for complete waterproofness.
Using the touchscreen works pretty well, though on occasion, it takes additional effort to get the icons to work, as they can be less responsive. My kids could still play games on the phone, so I know that the interface was working decently enough for them to be entertained. It’s supposed to work with another screen protector underneath it, but I found the two protectors would stick together and cause clarity issues. In really bright light conditions, out in the full sunshine, the screen is a bit too glossy, and can make it more difficult to view things. The speaker and microphone covers utilize a Gore-Tex membrane, and they work surprisingly well, while still retaining their water and dirt protection qualities. While listening to music the back of the case works as a bass reinforcement device, and you can feel it slamming along like a mini subwoofer, and I thought that was a pretty trick feature. The buttons for volume work well, and the silence switch does its job, though it felt slightly stiff when used. To interface to the headphone jack, there is a watertight screw port, and a special adapter to run accessories, such as waterproof headphones. To use the power or docking port, you just flip the bottom closure flap down, and it’s accessed, although when inserting the plug, the flap gets in the way and there isn’t much maneuvering room due to the tolerances. I ran into an issue when trying to use my car power plugs to charge up the phone, as none of them would fit into the case’s tight recess, so I had to take the case apart to charge the iPhone. It was mildly annoying, but only took a few moments to take the case apart, as long as you had a large coin handy. I finally got a simple USB car charger that just allowed me to use the default iPhone plug, which fortunately doesn’t have any connection issues into the case.
I dropped the phone from 3 feet in the air, and it certainly seemed to offer considerable protection, but I didn’t test the extreme waterproofness (take it under water), so I’ll take their word on it. I got the unit into some hefty rain and snow storms, and plenty of dirt and mud have been thrown up on it, and it has been none the worse from the abuse.
- iPhone Case – 31.7 grams
The slim case is rugged and abuse proof, and can offer some serious protection from drops, dirt and water, while still offering full access to the buttons, touchscreen, camera and phone. The touchscreen is too glossy, making it somewhat difficult to view in bright light conditions, and it can be tougher to engage icons and text, but the additional protection is worth the compromises, especially if you use the phone in adverse environments. It’s not cheap at $79.99, but I liked the case, and really appreciated that I don’t have to worry about babying my precious iPhone, as I know it’s well protected.
- Durable and rugged
- Back of case offers sound reinforcement
- Slim and light
- Waterproof, snowproof, dustproof and shockproof
- Glossy screen can be difficult to view in bright light
- Touchscreen can be less responsive
- Power port recess is tight and might not fit all plugs – especially car chargers
Overall Rating: 4.5 Flamin’ Chili Peppers
Follow Brian Mullin at http://www.gramslightbikes.com
LifeProof iPhone 4/4S Case Specs:
- MSRP: $79.99
- Website: http://www.lifeproof.com/lifeproof-store/apple-cases/iphone-4-g2
- Colors: black, pink, purple, white
- Case Dimensions: 2.6″ (W) x 5.08″ (L) x 0.42″ (D) inner, 0.52″(D) outer edge (66mm (W) x 129mm (L) x 10.8mm (D), 13.3mm (D) outer edge)
- Case Weight: 0.98 oz. (28g)
- Operational Depth: 6.6 feet (2 meters) underwater maximum
- Drop Height: 6.6 feet (2 meters) maximum
- Protects against every-day hazards—full IP-68 rating against water and dust, and designed to Military Specifications
- High degree of shock and impact protection—tested to Military Specifications MIL-STD-810F-516.5 (2 meters/6.6ft drop on all surfaces and edges. 26 tests)
- Fully sealed protection against minute dust particles
- Ability to swim and take underwater (2 meters/6.6ft depth). Optional adapter allows use of waterproof headphones underwater
- Mil-Spec protection that allows you to go anywhere, anytime, and do anything with carefree freedom
- Ultra-slim and adds only 1/16” (1.5mm) when measured from the center of the phone
- Weighs less than an ounce (28g).
- Unique combination of materials that will not stick to your pocket
- Compatible with all iPhone 4′s and 4S’s (International, AT&T and Verizon).
- Full Functionality
- Double AR-coated optical glass lenses provide unprecedented crystal-clear photo and video quality
- All phone features are operational while maintaining a high level of protection
- Improves the bass and mid-frequency speaker response by utilizing the back of the case as a sub-woofer for a richer, fuller sound.