Niner has just announced the all new R.I.P. 9 which is a half pound lighter than the old version with 10mm more travel. Other changes include new air formed aluminum alloy tubes and ISCG compatibility.
The new R.I.P. 9 is targeted for the Trail bike category of 29ers. It is meant to be paired with either a 120mm or 140mm fork.
The main construction difference in the new R.I.P. 9 frame is the air formed tubing. This means the frame tubes are shaped with compressed air in a heated mold which provides “greater control over wall thickness and material uniformity” (according to Niner) which allows the use of less metal (less weight). Compared the more traditional hydroforming, air forming can be up to 25% lighter but with the same strength. Frame weight is 6.85 lbs for a medium frame with a shock & hanger.
Official info from Niner below.
The reputation of the R.I.P. 9 is unassailable – in the six years since its introduction it has helped define the new-school genre of trail ripper – both with riders and the cycling press. So how can it be improved? Keep the attitude, boost performance, shed unwanted weight and build on the legend. The changes to this new beast can’t really be called “evolutionary,” because the word implies a slow process of incremental gains and small strides. That just doesn’t describe the changes to the new R.I.P. 9 – there’s nothing incremental about a kick in the pants.
Trail Bike 29
The Niner that is at home on just about any trail or any terrain – The R.I.P. 9 incorporates global rider feedback as well as Niner’s rigorous progression of alloy design, engineering and testing standards. The R.I.P. 9 has over 30 glowing media reviews for ride quality and handling – the new R.I.P. 9 takes these characteristics and ups the ante with air formed aluminum alloy tubes that redefine performance, a lower weight, ISCG compatibility and additional travel.
The R.I.P. 9 features Niner’s patented CVA suspension (U.S. Patent No. 7,934,739) and delivers 125mm of fully active travel with superb compliance and damping via a tuned for CVA RockShox Monarch RT3 HV shock. For those seeking the technical advantages of 29” wheels combined with pedaling efficiency across all chainring combinations (not just the middle ring), CVA™ is the front-runner. The result? A faster, smoother ride up and down the trail.
The increased surface area of a tapered headtube allows for a larger downtube, increasing strength and rigidity at this critical intersection. Tapered fork steerer tubes measurably reduce fork deflection, which means your Niner tracks straight and true. The full spectrum of riders from XC racers to All Mountain shredders benefit from these features which is why we incorporate the technology in all our frames.
Attention to Detail
From the head tube to the rear axle, we looked at every single detail and asked “can it be done better?” We’ve revised the shapes of the forged yokes and attachments, subjecting them to mechanical and real world testing to ensure they’re as light and strong as possible. New linkage shapes increase strength and stiffness and shed a few more grams, the lower link has a pronounced asymmetrical form to make room for ISCG tabs and increased chainstay clearance. Larger pivot hardware and a switch to 8mm alloy shock mounting bolts shave weight and increase the bling we love so much. Saving weight doesn’t mean skimping – pivots are still outfitted with Enduro Max full complement sealed cartridge bearings for smooth, friction-free suspension.
- Airformed alloy full suspension trailbike – setting the standard in any wheelsize
- 125mm of patented CVA™ suspension, efficient in every chainring configuration
- Compatible with 120-140mm forks
- Tuned for CVA™ – Rockshox Monarch RT3 HV
- ISCG Tabs and offset linkage design for chainguide compatibility
- Forged suspension linkage and unique Niner Alloy Hardware
- 142x12mm rear spacing
- Medium frame with shock, maxle hanger and seat collar – 7 LBS/3175 g, a half pound lighter over previous iterations.
- $1849 Frame MSRP (includes shock, maxle and seat collar)
- Complete 3-Star XT Bike $4199, Complete 1-Star X7 Bike $2999
- Ships in early May.
RIP 9 Specifications and Compatibility
- 73mm English threaded BB width
- ISCG 05 mounting tabs
- Shock size: 7.875”(200mm) x 2.0”(51mm) – 4.9”(125mm) travel
- Shock mounting hardware width and drilling: 22mm x M8
- Shock SAG: 25% (which will move the o-ring 12.5mm down the shaft)
- 30.9mm seat post, 370mm length recommended
- 34.9mm seat collar
- S3 (low) direct mount front derailleur, top pull
- 1.125”-1.5” tapered head tube with “inset or zero stack” style headset,
- 44mm upper, 56mm lower Cane Creek standard description: ZS44/28.6|ZS56/40
- Enduro Max sealed bearings – (8x) 26x17x5mm
- 142x12mm rear spacing
- Small has one bottle mount under the downtube. Medium, large and XL have one inner triangle bottle mount and one under the DT bottle mount.
- Can fit up to a 2.4” tire (tire size varies by brand, some tires may not fit)
- Compatible with standard 3x chainring systems
- SRAM recommended 2x chainrings: 26/39T or lower
- SRAM XX1 recommended max chainring: 36T. Q-Factor: 156 or 168mm
- Shimano XT recommended 2x chainrings: 28/40T or lower
- Shimano XTR recommended 2x chainrings: 26/38T. We do not recommend the use of 40T (48.8mm chain line) cranks because the large chainring may contact the frame.
The New RIP 9 Star Builds & Pricing
RIP 9 ★★★ XT￼:
- Frame: Niner RIP 9, Licorice Black
- Fork: Rockshox Sektor RL Solo Air 130mm, 15mm
- Wheelset NoTubes 3.30/ZTR Flow EX, 15mm Front, 142 x 12mm Rear
- Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin TL, 2.35
- Brakes & Rotors: Shimano XT M785 Ice Tech Pads with 180/160mm Rotors
- Brake Levers: Shimano XT M785
- R/Shifter: Shimano XT M780 10SP I-Spec
- F/Shifter: Shimano XT M780 2/3SP I-Spec
- R/Derailleur: Shimano XT M786 GS Med Cage 10SP Shadow Plus
- F/Derailleur: Shimano XT M785 10SP
- Cassette: Shimano XT M771 10SP 11-36T
- Chain: Shimano XT HG95 10SP
- Crank Set: Shimano XT M785 38/26T
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT BB70
- Saddle: WTB Volt Race with Cr-Mo Rails, Niner Graphic
- Seatpost: Niner 370mm Carbon Seat Post, Red Niner Graphic
- Handlebar: NIner Flat Top Carbon, 710mm, Red Niner Graphic
- Stem: Niner Alloy Stem, Red Niner Graphic
- Grips: Niner Grrrips
RIP 9 ★ X7:
- Frame: Niner RIP 9, Niner Green
- Fork: RockShox Sektor RL Solo Air 130mm, 15mm
- Wheelset: American Classic Terrain, 15mm Front, 142 x 12mm Rear
- Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph Performance 2.25
- Brakes & Rotors: SRAM Elixir 1 with 180/160mm G2 Rotors
- Brake Levers: SRAM Elixir 1
- R/Shifter: SRAM XT Trigger 10SP
- F/Shifter: SRAM XT Trigger 2SP
- R/Derailleur: SRAM X7 Type-2 Med Cage
- F/Derailleur: SRAM X5
- Cassette: SRAM PG 1030 10SP 11-36T
- Chain: SRAM PC 1031
- Crank Set: SRAM S1000 GXP 38/24T
- Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP
- Saddle: WTP Volt Sport, Niner Graphic
- Seatpost: Niner 370mm Alloy Seat Post, Red Niner Graphic
- Handlebar: Niner Flat Top Alloy, 710mm, Red Niner Graphic
- Stem: Niner Alloy Stem, Red Niner Graphic
- Grips: Niner Grrrrips
- RIP 9 Frameset: $1,849, Available May
- RIP 9 ★★★ XT: ￼$4,199, Available May
- RIP 9 ★ X7: $2,999, Available May
The New RIP 9 Geometry
*Geometry measurements are shown for 120mm and 140mm travel forks. Note that the increased height and offset of the Fox 34 140mm fork yield approximately .5o slacker Angles (H,I) and .4” (12mm) longer Wheelbase (E).
For more information visit www.ninerbikes.com/rip9.