Registration is Now Open for Solo Racers and Relay Teams of Two and Four
Aspen/Snowmass, Colo., July 18, 2011 – The brand new Power of Four Mountain Bike Race on Sunday, August 28 combines the four ski areas of Aspen/Snowmass – Snowmass, Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands and Buttermilk – into one challenging course. The diversity of terrain and a requirement to ride four distinct mountains makes this event the only one of its kind. This event is a follow-up to the acclaimed launch of the Power of Four series, which began with a ski touring race in March 2011.
The field will consist of solo racers and relay teams (of two or four) from the avid bike community that exists in Aspen/Snowmass, Colo., regionally and beyond. Racers will start at the base of Snowmass and end at the Sundeck at the top of Aspen Mountain. With an estimated 11,000′ vertical gain, 9,000′ vertical drop over 33 miles on top rated single track, demanding double track ascents and coverage over four mountains this race will challenge even the fittest riders.
Race Course (subject to change):
Stage 1: Snowmass
- Start at 8 a.m. in Base Village (at the base of the Village Express lift in Snowmass)
- Ride up Snowmass to the base of Big Burn/Ullrhof to Cross Mountain Trail
- Cross Mountain trail over to Elk Camp Summer Road
- Elk Camp Summer Road to top of Vapor Trail
- Vapor trail to Government Trail, Government Trail to Buttermilk Tiehack
- Relay at Tiehack for Teams of 4
Stage 2: Buttermilk
- Top of Buttermilk to Government Trail
- Government Trail to base of Tiehack
- Relay at Tiehack for Teams of 2 & 4
Stage 3: Aspen Highlands
- Tiehack parking lot to base of Highlands via the ARC bridge and up the bike path to the base of Aspen Highlands
- Aspen Highlands Summer Road up to the Grand Traverse
- Grand Traverse to the Congo Trail
- Congo Trail down to Castle Creek Road
- Relay for Teams of 4 at Castle Creek Road/Midnight Mine Road
Stage 4: Aspen Mountain
- Castle Creek Road to Midnight Mine Road
- Midnight Mine road to Little Annie’s intersection
- Little Annie’s to top of Richmond Ridge
- Richmond Ridge to East Rim Singletrack
- East Rim to Aspen Mountain Summer Road Crossing
- Summer Road to top of Aspen Mountain
- Finish line at the top of Aspen Mountain at the Sundeck
Solo race categories: Male, Female, Singlespeed
Teams of two relay race categories: Male, Female, Co-ed
Team Member 1: Snowmass & Buttermilk
Team Member 2: Aspen Highlands & Aspen Mountain
Teams of four relay race categories: Male, Female, Co-ed
Team Member 1: Snowmass (to Tiehack on Buttermilk)
Team Member 2: Buttermilk
Team Member 3: Aspen Highlands
Team Member 4: Aspen Mountain
Registration is now open at www.aspensnowmass.com/reg. Registration costs are $100 for solo racers; $175 for teams of two and $200 for teams of four.
Call for Volunteers: Volunteers are still needed for the event. Those interested in volunteering should contact Buck Erickson at email@example.com.
Those interested in sponsorship opportunities can contact Zach Crittenden at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please visit www.aspensnowmass.com/power or call 970/925-1220.
Aspen Skiing Company operates the four mountains in the Aspen/Snowmass area – Snowmass, Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands and Buttermilk – as well as the award-winning Ski & Snowboard Schools of Aspen/Snowmass. The area offers unparalleled nightlife and off-slope activities as well. Aspen/Snowmass is accessible by two of the most convenient airports in the mountains – Aspen/Pitkin County Airport (ASE) (3 miles from Aspen) and Eagle County Airport (EGE) (70 miles from Aspen). For more information on Aspen Skiing Company, please call 800-525-6200 or 970-925-1220, or visit the company’s website at www.aspensnowmass.com.
Source: Meredith McKee