We chatted with the founder of Vecnum from Germany and he proudly showed us their Moveloc dropper post. It is a new entry in the field of dropper posts and it seems to offer a compelling proposition. We were initially drawn in by the ‘beyond category’ 200mm drop. The highest travel we’ve seen on popular options only go up to 150mm, as seen on our Dropper Post Comparison here.
The more we talked to founder Marcell Maier, the more we were impressed. Here is a bona fide German engineer and innovator who thought the problem through, designed a solution and manufactured it with fine precision.
Why 200mm of post travel?
200mm is indeed a lot, but post travel needs seem to grow with time, experience and application. We thought 100mm was plenty 5 years ago, but that is clearly inadequate now. 150mm seems to be the new gold standard now, but we can clearly see the need for more travel in the future for some users. But with the variety of users, Vecnum offers three different posts at 140mm, 170mm and 200mm of travel.
Infinite or fixed position?
Vecnum uses fixed positions of drop, but instead of the common 3 locations as found in the Specialized Command post, Vecnum believes 4 is the magic number. We clearly agree that 4 positions is much better than 3, as the user can go to a 25% and 75% of max height level instead of a pre-determined ‘middle’ spot.
Jackhammer or slow rise?
There’s a few posts out there that launch like a pogo stick and that is clearly undesirable. Vecnum uses a pneumatic damper unit that controls the rate of rise an the speed is adjustable too by varying the pressure in the damper unit.
The action of the Vecnum Moveloc is incredibly smooth. The post is very easy to move to the lower positions and when it rises, it comes up gently at the user’s preferred speed. The post can go up all the way to 100% height or at 25% increments with a combination of lever press and lateral push on the saddle.
The post has two levers too – a remote lever and a local lever on the post itself. Through ingenious design, the rider can activate the post drop easily using a lever on the post as well, in case of lever failure or user preference.
Finally, the design and construction of this product is very refined. Materials are top notch and there is no play at all on the saddle.
- Up to 200 mm travel adjustment at only 560 g overall weight. Three different adjustment ranges allow for the use of the maximal possible adjustment range of any frame size.
- Incl. handlebar remote control via lever or local lever on the post.
- Cable on the post is fixed and does not move.
- Solid 2 bolt saddle clamp for reliability and ease of adjustment.
- Modular gas spring (concentric to the seat post) with end position damping for quick adjustment without hard end stop.
- Dirt-resistant activation, jamming through dirt impossible.
- Fail Safe Function: even when the handlebar remote control fails, the comfortable operation on the seat post is possible.
- Lubrication resp. cleaning of the sealing unit without any tool.
- Tested according to common testing procedures for fixed MTB seat posts.
- Bike seat diameters 30.9 mm –> 31.6 mm / 34.9 mm via reducing bushes.
It is available now in Europe for €360 Euros. US availability is not yet determined.
For more information visit www.vecnum.net.