The Boombot REX allows you to take your music everywhere, including your bike.
This is a fun product for sure. It is rugged and one can use it on the bike on those remote rides where one is not bothering other trail users.
The real benefit of the Boombotix Boombot REX is it can be used on and off the bike. On the desk, in the backyard, or on a picnic, it is completely capable and functional. At 92 decibels max from 2 feet away, it’s got great sound output for its size. It can fill a room with music and outside it can cut through noisy environments and still delivery good sound.
The exploded view reveals two high quality drivers and a passive subwoofer in the back.
- Made to take a beating and waterproof
- Sounds great for its size
- Battery lasts a long time at 6-8 hours normal use on one charge
- Customizable case and accessories
- Speakerphone functions and Siri compatible
- Can be daisy-chained for big volume
- Great for commuting and it’s much safer than earbuds
- Price is $120 + $40 for the bike mount
- Form factor is not streamlined for a bicycle cockpit
- Bike mount is a bit clunky and is difficult to install
- Without the bike mount, clipping it to a backpack directs the sound away from the rider
- Can be distracting to other trail users
- Buttons are very small and difficult to use specially with gloves
- Port rubber covers are in the way when accessing the ports
Form factor is not the best. On the desk it’s not so bad, but on the bike, it just sticks out like an hexagonal clock. With the optional $40 bike mount, it sticks out pretty high on the bars, but Boombotix certainly makes up for this with a lot of great color options and cases for the Boombot REX.
In the end, the price is just too steep with the bike mount at $160. One can buy just the Boombot REX for $120 and clip it to a backpack. But to be able to direct the sound, access the buttons, use the speakerphone and talk to Siri, the bike mount is a good tool.
For commuting, this is a nice accessory and it’s much safer than earbuds. For trail riding, as long you’re not disturbing others and you have the funds, the Boombot REX allows you to bring the party anywhere you go.
Watch the video of Mtbr getting its first look at the San Francisco startup Boombotix’s Boombot REX speakers at the 2013 Sea Otter Classic.
For more information visit boombotix.com.