The Gloworm XS is a high end light that a delivers a very wide but controlled beam pattern. The beam is rectangular to optimize for width and peripheral vision. The optics are configurable to make this the optimum bar light or helmet light.
The head unit weighs 110 grams but it delivers an incredibly bright and consistent light that measured in at 2230 Lumens.
The light has a wired remote switch that will keep your hands away from the head unit that can get hot. And it will bring the switch by your fingertips when the light is bar mounted. The light also includes a bar mount in addition to the helmet mount.
And finally, battery pack looks good with Panasonic cells and a fuel gauge on the pack. Run time is an excellent 2 hours at max output. Two packs are available, a 4-cell and a 2-cell one and we used the 4-cell on this test which takes 5 hours to charge.
Programability is one of the high points of the Gloworm design, as there is almost a limitless amount of light levels and options available. It is well-designed but any UI that doesn’t have displays or monitors requires a bit of practice to get used to.
Configurable optics is another high point of Gloworm as this light includes both wide and focused beam optics. This really expands the range of the light as the same light can be used for spread or throw. Or better yet, get two and configure the optics to be one of each.
- Price: $370
- Claimed Lumens: 2200 Lumens
- Measured Lumens: 2230 Lumens
- Measured MTBR Lux: 224 Lux
- Lumens per $: 6.05 Lumens
- Lumens per gram: 6.51 Lumens
- Time on High: 2 Hours
- Charge Time: 5 Hours
- Mounted Weight: 344 grams
- Category: High End
- Great, very wide beam pattern
- Both mounts included and remote switch as well
- Configurable light modes including overdrive ‘bush’ mode
- Good packaging and materials
- Lenses are interchangeable with flood, spot or combination
- Light weight relative to its brightness
- Good run time and available battery option to optimize for weight
- Extremely compact packaging means it’s very portable
- Better than the claimed 2200 Lumens
- Programming requires practice (like the GoPro user interface)
The light includes a helmet mount with a velcro strap and a center-mounted bar light with a rubber strap. A CNC’d quick release bar mount, normally $50 is included in the kit.
Mtbr Light Meter Measurements
This light measured 224 Lux on our ambient light measurement facility. The light output measurement is performed by placing a Lux light meter beside the light. Both are pointed at the ceiling (five feet above) of a dark room. This measurement uses the ambient light produced by the bike light.
Integrating Sphere Measured Lumens
This light measured 2230 Lumens in an integrating sphere. Claimed Lumens by the manufacturer is 2200 Lumens.
Beam Pattern Photo
We photographed the lights in the same location setting with the same camera settings. The photos were taken in the back yard that is approximately 25 yards long. These photos feature many objects and a distinct background to analyze detail and beam pattern.
For more information visit www.glowormlites.co.nz.
Photo Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
Do you own the Gloworm XS? Help us become a better resource and write a review!