Having spent some time with the MTBR.com, I was given the chance to test ride and review the Rocky Mountain 2009 Altitude 70 mountain bike. Billed on their website as a XC Marathon mountain bike. Rocky Mountain has ten different categories on their website under the mountain bike category. Talk about options! No matter, it is all about how the bike handles once it is one the trails. My off-road trail that I ride near my home is a grinder climb of over three miles with an average grade of 14%-15%. There are a number of quick technical turns and rough areas that cows have trampled through that can give any full-suspension bike a workout.
Here is what I found out about the Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 that I had for several weeks to try.
I was actually given the bike partially unassembled. This gave me a new perspective on the bike. I was surprised that the rear wheel was very difficult to slide onto to its dropouts. It took much effort because the chain stays are very short and the rear derailleur was in the way. This in theory is supposed to give the bike better climbing capabilities but having to work so hard installing the rear wheel makes me concerned if I have a rear wheel flat out in the woods. Other than the rear tire, everything else assembled very easily.
This bike came equipped with Shimano SLX shifters/levers, Formula K24 hydraulic disc brakes, Race Face Deus crank set, headset and stem. To round things out, the Rocky Mountain also uses FOX Float RP23 Custom Valve with 140mm travel for the rear shock and a FOX 32 Float RL, 140mm, Lockout / rebound 15mm axle front fork. Both the rear shock and fork have lockout for climbing. Wheel sets are Shimano XT hubs with Mavic rims attached to WTB Wolverine tires. Total weight of the bike not including pedals is slightly over 28lbs. Travel front and rear is 140mm.
- Frame RMB FORM 7005 Alu, hydroFORMed seattube, aluminum seatstay, alu chainstay
- Fork FOX 32 Float RL
- Front Travel 140mm, Lockout / rebound 15mm axle
- Rear Shock FOX Float RP23 Custom Valved
- Rear Travel 140mm
- Head Set FSA Orbit MX
- Stem Race Face Deus SL XC Ti Bolts 31.8 x 6° 70-90-100mm
- Handlebar Race Face Atlas AM low rise 31.8mm 700mm
- Brakes Shimano XT hydraulic disc
- Brake Levers Shimano XT
- Shifters Shimano XT Rapid Fire 9spd
- Gearing (FR) Shimano XT 34.9mm
- Gearing (RR) Shimano XTR LP
- Cranks & Chainrings Race Face Deus X-Type 170-175mm 44/32/22T
- Bottom Bracket Race Face Deus XC X-Type
- Pedals Crank Brothers Candy
- Hubs (FR) Shimano XT disc 15mm axle
- Hubs (RR) Shimano XT disc
- Cassette Shimano XT-9 11-34T
- Chain Shimano HG73
- Spokes DT Competition
- Rims Mavic XC717
- Tires (RR/FR) WTB Wolverine 26
- Seat Post Race Face Deus XC 30.9mm
- Saddle fi’zi:k Nisene