The two piece Esquire, are comprised of an outer short made from 4-way stretch polyester and spandex that have a long cut, and a removable inner chamois liner. I really like the Esquire shorts, as the extra length works well and extends to the top of my knee guards, so I never have a bare leg poking out when I am spinning. The shorts have two hand pockets, a small zippered stash pocket by the right hip (perfect for car remote or small tool), and two zippered mesh vents on the lower front leg. I find that zippered pockets are a functional necessity on a pair of rugged bike shorts, offering security for pocketed items. The polyester material is comfortable and durable, and stretchy enough to allow contortional movements while maneuvering around on the bike. It has two mesh panels on the sides by the lower legs, and then another by the upper back, which work in synergy for additional stretchiness. The front closure uses a metal hook, and two robust snaps, and a nice long zipper for natures calls. The inner chamois is comfortable and well padded, but the hooking system that hangs the liner is too delicate and hard to use, so I usually just skip clasping it. The zippers on the shorts functioned adequately, but their pull tabs would catch sideways on the sliders, and would have to be extracted before pulling on them (very annoying). The shorts have a nice waist adjustment system, that uses two simple Velcro hook-and-loop fasteners located at the hip that allow several inches of alteration, making for easy changes.
The Esquire is a great pair of shorts, that are comfortable, stretchy, with a long cut, and offers lots of useful features.
- Zippered hip pocket
- Comfortable and stretchy
- Waist adjustment system
- Fragile inner liner hanging system
- Zipper pull tabs catch on sliders
Overall Rating: 4 Flamin’ Chili Peppers
- MSRP $119.95
- Sizes – X Small, Small, Medium, Large, X Large, XX Large
- Colors – Graphite, Steel Gray
- Visit the Esquire Short website
- Description – This is our primo trail ride short – and comes with high performance detachable short liner and perforated performance liner pad. The Esquire’s utilization of 4-way stretch polyester for maneuverability and comfort, Spandex lower back panels and front and rear mesh vents are key to its performance credentials. Hook and loop waist adjusters, non-rattle snap down zippers, bar tacked stress points, open hand pockets plus a zipped stash pocket complete the detail.