Mtbr covered the Santa Cruz V10c at Interbike a couple of months ago and it was quite a stunner. Steve Peat’s own prototype race bike was on display done up in signature colors of white, blue and red it was obvious that it was very close to production. And now, the wait is over. The all new Santa Cruz V10c starts shipping in January and achieves the goals that Santa Cruz set for themselves…they made it lighter and stronger.
In fact, Santa Cruz calls the all new V10c: “the World’s LIGHTEST, STRONGEST & MOST SUCCESSFUL Downhill Bicycle”. That’s quite a claim. But with racers like Steve Peat, Greg Minnaar, Josh Bryceland and the rest of the Santa Cruz Syndicate, they have quite the “R&D” staff. The team has earned 64 World Cup podiums, 14 World Cup Wins and 3 World Championship Golds. That is dominance.
How do they do it? Santa Cruz uses a proprietary carbon molding technique that delivers a sub 7 lb frame that’s nearly 2 lbs lighter and stronger than the previous V10. Santa Cruz is so confident in the V10c that they have extended the warranty to 5 years (from 2 years) and the bearings have a lifetime guarantee. And yes, they still offer the crash replacement policy.
- 10” (25.4cm) to 8.5” (21.6cm) of adjustable travel
- New 157mm rear axle spacing – easier wheel installation.
- New molded rubber swingarm and downtube protectors
- New integrated fork bumpers with cable guide
- New carbon upper link – increased sti ness
- Forged aluminum lower link with recessed grease ports
- Collet axle pivots – lock in place without pinch bolts
- Direct mount rear derailleur hanger
- Full carbon dropouts and disk mounts
- Co-molded aluminium hardware on upper pivot and bottom bracket – no bonding
- Race tested by Syndicate throughout 2012
- Syndicate will race production frames in 2013
Total frame weight:
- 6.97 lb (3.15 kg) M size with Rock Shox Vivid air
- 7.9 lb (3.6 kg) M size with Fox DHX RC4 shock with 9.5” x 3.0” steel coil
Photo Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
- Frame and Fox DHX RC4 k rear shock: $3499
- Frame and Rock Shox Vivid R2C rear shock: $3599
- Complete Bike with Fox 40 RC2 k fork and DH1 build kit (mostly Shimano Saint) with alloy wheels = $7994
- Complete Bike with Rock Shox Boxxer WC fork and DH1 build kit with alloy wheels = $8117
- Complete Bike with Fox 40 RC2 k fork and DH1 build kit with Enve Carbon wheels = $9973
- Complete Bike with Rock Shox Boxxer WC and DH1 build kit with Enve Carbon wheels = $10,096
- (prices subject to change)