Announcement by Mike Ferrentino of Santa Cruz Bicycles:
We put a lot of emphasis on the suspension performance and ride characteristics of our VPP suspension— design tuneability of shock rates for individual designs, superb pedaling AND bump absorption characteristics, awesome.
Chassis stiffness and ride dynamics, short stiff links with really good hardware, durability, ease of service—but we get real geeked out when we can build all that stuff into a carbon fiber bike. Our engineers will proclaim that carbon fiber processes are not all equal, and this is not all just random “black metal.” We are very proud of what we can achieve with carbon fiber, and the way we do our layup gives us the advantage to build bikes that are lighter AND stronger than just about everyone else.
That said, this is the Tallboy LTc. Same geometry, same suspension, same intent as the aluminum version, but crafted from carbon fiber using our proprietary one-piece layup process. This is also our first foray into 142×12 rear axle territory. For lack of any better hyperbole, this bike is siiiiiick! 135mm travel, all the good juicy features already mentioned in the Tallboy LT blurb above, but also stiffer, stronger, and really, really effing light. Weight for a frame, with shock included, is 5.3 pounds. Yup.
- M, L, XL sizes
- Proprietary one-piece carbon fiber layup
- Tapered headtube
- 142x12mm rear axle
- Replaceable derailleur hanger (optional Shimano direct mount rear hanger available)
- ISCG05 mount
- 135mm travel, 7.875×2″ shock
- Custom-tuned Fox Float RP23 Kashima shock
- Collet axle pivot hardware
- Offset lower link (better chainguide clearance), recessed grease ports
- Continuous cable, dropper post routing
- Leather seatstay, chainstay, downtube protector
- Threaded bb shell (we think this is still the best, most user-friendly, widely compatible, globally serviceable way to install a bottom bracket.)
Available complete with R/AM spec for $4399 or SPX/AM spec for $5299