TrailLED Darkstar – $420.00
|Light||Price||Claimed Lux||Runtime||Battery Type||Light head weight||Battery Weight||Installed Weight||Lux per gram||Lux per dollar|
The Trail LED Darkstar is a compact yet ultra powerful light unit meant to be mounted on the helmet. It features two LEDs that have a very wide beam. When used together, these two form a huge yet bright beam. It generates a lot of heat the the many heatsink fins try to dissipate. The battery is a dense and potent unit that can power this system for three hours at full power. It’s compact but heavy so it’s best placed in a hydration pack rather than a jersey pocket.
Light Head close ups:
Helmet mounting is pretty basic with a long strap supplied. The strap is meant to go in the helmet vents and is adjusted up and down by finding the right vent locations. It will fit some helmets better than others.
Note: An adjustable helmet mount is available from Trail LED for $20. Also a handlebar mount is available for $5.
Light Meter Measurements:
This light measured 81 lux on our ambient light measurement facility. This blows away most other single lights and measures up well against its 1200 lumens claims.
- incredible brightness and beam width
- very compact light head unit
- long run time at three hours at highest output
- ideal if user only wants to run one helmet light as sole light source
- excellent customer service
- light head is light at 80 grams
- strap mounting system to helmet is pretty basic and has limited on-the-fly adjustability. Note that an adjustable mount is available as an option
- light head can get hot when not in motion
- design is pretty basic with long wire and heavy 295 gram battery. Battery is best placed in a hydration pack.
If you want a basic, handmade helmet light with a traditional design, this is a good solution. You will be blown away by the light output possibility of a single helmet mounted head unit.
Beam Pattern Photos:
4 out of 5 Stars
4.5 out of 5 Stars
Read or write reviews: