Troy Lee Designs‘ range of helmets has always had a rabid fan base due to a combination of factors, including eye-catching paint schemes, incredible fit, and excellent protection. This year, they’ve released a slew of drool-worthy new color schemes for the A1, D2, and D3, as well as making some minor updates to their top level full face lid.
The big news for the D3 is that the headform has been modified slightly to help improve fit based on athlete and consumer feedback. They’ve also redesigned their cheek pads to better contour to the jaw and cheek. In addition to refining how the helmets sit, they’ve added additional EPS to key frontal impact zones.
TLD offers the D3 in three different shell size with six different cheek/headliner kits for a huge range of sizing options. The carbon version will set you back $450, while the polycarbonate models retails for $375.
- New head form/shape that has been slightly modified to accommodate some comfort zones that our customers and athletes wanted updated for better fit. Extensive testing led us to a slight modification that will allow the D3 to accommodate more riders.
- New cheek pad, our “3D cheek pads feature an updated shape and contour to better fit the jaw and cheek area. This new 3D cheek pad extends more toward the front of the helmet/chinbar area as well, for a more secure fit.
- New smoothed edge trim on the face molding area.
- Newly added additional EPS protection in the key frontal impact zones for even greater safety.
- 3 different EPS size ranges, with 6 different sized cheek/headliner kits, for a huge range of sizing.
- Machined titanium visor screws and ‘D-ring’ chin strap fasteners for reduced weight.
- Custom made helmet bag comes with every D3 helmet composite or carbon.
- D3 comes with 2 fully adjustable, matching graphics visors.
- 14 intake ports over forehead, brow and chin areas guide airflow past rider’s head for maximum ventilation.
- 6 high-flow exhaust vents release hot air ensuring an even flow of cool air throughout the helmet’s interior.
- Removable and washable comfort liner with Coolmax® and Dri-Lex® materials.
- Technologically advanced aerospace carbon / composite shell construction.
- Exceeds CPSC 1203, CE EN 1078, ASTM F1952, ASTM F2032, AND AS/NZS 2063:2008
When the A1 was launched three years ago, we loved the full coverage it offered and the awesome fit. The only thing that’s changed is that the helmet is available at two different price points. The more expensive Reflex version retails for $165 and features eye popping graphics. Not into the racer look? They offer several more subdued color schemes under the Drone moniker, which is also a little easier on the wallet at $139.
- Reinforced polycarbonate shell in-molded with the EPS liner extends down the sides and back of the head for maximum protection and durability
- 8 pressurized intake passages draw in cool air for maximum ventilation
- 8 rear vacuum vortex outlets help exhaust and draw heat from head
- Triple position adjustable retention system allows customized fit for various eyewear, head shape and riding styles
- Single piece, ultra plush, removable and washable comfort liner made of anti-microbial moisture wicking material for a dry, comfortable feel
- Full spectrum adjustable Moto inspired visor with anodized aluminum hardware
- Race inspired styling
The D2 has been around for a hell of a long time. It was the king of cool over ten years ago and still remains a good option for those on a budget. Retail for the plain black model is $198, while the flashier graphics MSRP at $228.
- Lightweight aerospace composite shell.
- High-flow ventilation system incorporated into shell and liner.
- 7 intake ports over top, forehead and chin areas guide airflow past rider’s head for maximum ventilation.
- 4 exhaust vents release hot air ensuring an even flow of cool air throughout the helmet’s interior.
- Removable and washable comfort liner and cheek pads.
- Machined cross-top aluminum visor screws.
- Adjustable Orbit visor allows for custom height placement.
- Large eye port allows for easy fitting of all goggle shapes and sizes.
- Super soft helmet sock included.
For a look at the full range, visit www.troyleedesigns.com.