Quite a lot really – At least at Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon
New Chainbreaker White IPA Named After Famous Mountain Bike Race
We here at Mtbr first learned about Deschutes Brewery ( www.deschutesbrewery.com ) when we went to the North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS) in Portland in 2008. Being located in Bend, OR (home to some of the best trails in the world) it’s just a natural fit that the Deschutes Brewery guys would honor the Cascade Chainbreaker race with one of their beers. Their love and support of all things two-wheeled are evident by such things as:
- Beer and venue host for the “Day of the Dead Cyclocross Festival”, including the famous Halloween Cross Crusades and Clydesdale Championship of the Universe
- Title sponsor and venue host for the Deschutes Brewery Cup Final Series races of the U.S. Gran Prix of Cyclocross
- Stage sponsor of the Cascade Cycling Classic
- Partners with Cog Wild Tours, supplying their multi-day mountain bike tours (and fridge) with tasty beer
- Avid supporters of the Central Oregon Trail Alliance. They maintain and build new singletrack in the region
- Sponsors of the Mudslinger Events and Oregon XC mountain bike races
- Long-time sponsor of the Cascade Chainbreaker mountain bike race
- And more!
We just received a care package from Deschutes Brewery, so we will have to wait until beer-thirty to give an opinion on the flavor. But given our experience with their other brews, we’re sure this one won’t disappoint! The sweet bike-chain/bottle opener was made by fellow Oregonians from Resource Revival ( www.resourcerevival.com ), makers of cool swag all created out of recycled bicycle parts.
From the Brewmasters:
“Chainbreaker White IPA is a hop-forward, citrus-packed beer with an unmistakably smooth character. Think thirst-quenching, hopped-up with beer with enough hops to warrant the IPA name.”
“The name or our newest beer is inspired by one of our favorite races – the Cascade Chainbreaker, a legendary mountain bike race in Central Oregon. The challenging race features a demanding course with multiple terrains, just as this beer challenges the palate to expand with a fusion of wheat and spice low notes alongside significant hop highs. Sweet orange peel and coriander round out the flavor profile for a refreshing ride.”
“First introduced at the Deschutes Brewery Bend and Portland pubs, and a few, select special events, Chainbreaker’s compelling flavor and smooth character earned it a spot in the brewery’s year-round lineup.”
“Chainbreaker White IPA will be available in six-packs and twelve-packs in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho starting in late March 2012. The beer will continue to roll out to additional states in the brewery’s distribution network later in 2012.”
For more info: http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/chainbreaker-white-ipa
For more discussions about beer from a mountain bikers perspective including such things as favorite brews, where to find the best deals and what to pair your favorite beer with, be sure to check out Mtbr’s Beer Forum!