Warning: Your spouse may object to you taking over the kitchen and household appliances with your mountain bike lifestyle.
Is Mountain biking more than a hobby for you? More of a way of life? Well these household hacks are right up your alley. These are ways to optimize your household towards your mountain bike gear and experience.
1. Make sure you clean your hydration bladders often, baking soda is great for this. Then when you’re done pop them in the fridge, this will stop germs from growing as easily.
2. To clean your goggles, put them in a goggle bag then throw them in the washing machine with the rest of your clothes. Remember to take the lenses out first though.
3. To clean your camera and glasses lenses after a muddy ride, just put them in the dishwasher.
4. To make your own ‘grease-busting’ hand wash, mix honey, sugar, and olive oil, “boom, job done”.
5. Don’t forget to give your pump a bit of TLC every now and then. Spraying a bit of lubricant on the shaft should keep it working well and sliding friction-free.
6. For makeshift winter insoles, a bit of aluminum foil under your insole will keep your toes toasty in the winter.
Can’t afford water proof socks? A plastic bag between two summer riding socks will do the trick in a pinch.
7. Use an old glasses case as a makeshift tool pack to easily swap between your riding bags
8. A pair of latex workshop gloves underneath your normal riding gloves will keep your hands warm, if a little sweaty, on really wet days.
9. Spilled some grease on the carpet while working on your bike inside? A bit of WD40 and some elbow grease will get that right out
10. Keep some carpet tiles in the back of your car. This will keep your feet dry when you’re getting changed at a muddy trailhead.