The world of mountain bike helmets has been fairly stagnant over the last couple of decades. With its roots in road cycling, helmets have been designed primarily to protect the skull from severe injury. Also, stringent and archaic helmet tests handcuffed companies to state only whether they passed the Snell helmet test. As a result, a $40 half-lid helmet offered about as much protection as a $400 as late as a couple years ago.
But times are changing indeed as the last couple of years have seen a massive increase in innovation and research. Riding styles are changing and our concern about brain injuries has heightened.
6D is one such company with motocross backgrounds. They’ve sought out new ways to protect not only the skull but its precious contents, the brain. Central to their technology is the use of new shock absorbing material that provides suspension for the head. They float the helmet with a ODSTM layer that can take three dimensions of impact, forward/backward, left/right and up/down. That initial blow is absorbed by the suspension layer so the head is buffered from the entire force of the impact.
What’s it like to ride with it?
We’ve had about five rides with our helmet and we’re happy to report that it rides fine. It is a little bigger than comparable helmets. For the same head size, it has a slightly bigger shell due to its two shells with a suspension layer. But it’s pretty close to a Bell Super 2R and a POC Trabec.
Fit wise, the 6d has more of a rounded head fit. So oval-head type riders may feel pressure on the back corners of their head. Straps are mounted out of the way on the outer shell with a halo retention system that works quite well.
Ventilation wise, it is a good one with big vents and several large exit ports. The visor articulates well too to accommodate goggles.
6D ATB-1T Helmet Features
- Patented ODSTM (Omni-Directional SuspensionTM) technology reduces both angular acceleration force and low-threshold energy compliance significantly
- ODS dual-liner technology is designed specifically for the ATB-1T
- Polycarbonate Shell Lay-up (3 Shell Sizes – XS – XXL)
- ODS is exclusively available in 6D Helmets
- Modular ODS Carrier System
- Replaceable Inner EPS (Contact 6D Helmets)
- Exceptional Flow-Through Ventilation
- 15 Air Scavenging Transfer Ports
- Adjustable Fitment System
- Moisture Wicking / Washable / Anti-Bacterial Comfort Liner
- Adjustable / Removable Visor
- Eye Wear And Goggle Compatible
- Weight: 450 grams +/ – 50 grams (1.1 lbs)
- 1-year limited warranty
- Exceeds CPSC / EN 1078 Standards
- Retail: $269.
For more information visit www.6dhelmets.com.