BMC has finally entered the 27.5 trail bike arena, introducing a new, beefier version of the Speedfox dubbed the Speedfox Trailcrew. With a slacker head tube, lower BB, and shorter chainstays, plus 650b wheels and a RockShox Pike RC Solo Air 150mm, the Speedfox Trailcrew is geared for riders who like to play as much above the trail as on it.
This is a departure for the Swiss bike maker, which usually focuses all its attention on competitive performance. But these modifications in geometry are definitely a nod to play time, not race day. Indeed, this bike was clearly designed and spec’d with fun in mind.
Two models will be available later this summer. The $5900 SF02 Trailcrew has a carbon front triangle, SRAM X01 1×11, Shimano XT Trail brakes, a Cane Creek DBInline shock, RockShox Reverb Stealth dropper post, and DT Swiss E 1700 Spline ONE wheels. The $3900 SF03 Trailcrew has an alloy front end, Shimano SLX/XT drivetrain, Shimano wheels, Fox Float shock and the same Pike fork. Both bikes have alloy rears.
We have a test rig on order and will post a review asap. in the meantime, here are some of the key features.
- 5 sizes – XS / S / M / L / XL
- 650b-specific geometry has shorter chainstays, more BB drop, slacker headtube angle
- 142 thru axle keeps the rear wheel brake rotor aligned
- Internal cable management (Trailcrew 02 model only)
- Removable ISCG mounts allow choice of chain guide protection or no guide
- APS suspension is set up for a more plush and more progressive feel