The Boogaloo Class 1 pedal-assist electric mountain bike Race Series presented by Troy Lee Designs and Bosch eBike Systems is back for 2018. Building on the sold-out races of 2017 at Mammoth Mountain and Vail Lake, 2018 includes more venues, more bikes, and more race classes.
The Series kicks off May 12-13 at Vail Lake, a unique high-desert racing oasis and camping resort tucked away in the foothills of the Palomar mountains near Temecula, California. The Vail Lake Boogaloo is featured in conjunction with the SoCal Endurance Series, which attracts some of the strongest cross-country mountain-bikers in the state.
The series then heads north to Big Bear Mountain, where Snow Summit Ski Resort will host its first ever Boogaloo in conjunction with the popular Crafts & Cranks festival July 28-29. The course at Snow Summit will be integrated into their famous bike park and promises steeper climbs and bigger drops.
After a brief hiatus, the Boogaloo resumes at NorCal’s downhill bike mecca, Northstar near North Lake Tahoe. This race will be paired with a new event powered by Interbike, the Northstar Free-Ride Festival on Sept 15-16. As the prelude to the Interbike International Expo in nearby Reno, the festival promises to attract innovative brands in the bike industry and a mix of riders.
One week later, just after the close of Interbike, the fourth and final Boogaloo heads south to Mammoth Mountain, in conjunction with the Kamikaze Bike Games Sept 21-22. This will be Mammoth’s third Boogaloo, and will also include the first eDuro (electric enduro mountain bike race) on Sept. 23 after the Boogaloo race.
Highlights of the Boogaloo Series
- Each race features three classes: Pro class, “Race of Champions”-style Open Class, and a brand new “Youth” class for riders under 14. All races will be held on the Saturday afternoon of each Boogaloo weekend
- Racers and the general public will be able to demo a variety of Class 1 eMTBs for free all weekend long starting Saturday morning and ending Sunday afternoon, except during races
- 2018 participating eMTB brands include Bulls, Fantic, Focus, Giant, Haibike, Pivot, Raleigh Electric, Specialized, and Trek, each featuring certified class 1 (pedal-assist, 20 mph cut-off speed. Prizes for Pros: 100% pro cash purse payout ($2-3k) and Bosch power tools. Prizes for Open Class: Bosch power tools
- All racers will be decked out in custom Troy Lee Designs bibs & race plates; Pros & Open Class will receive a custom Boogaloo A1 helmet. Youth will receive TLD gloves for participating
- Additional sponsors include Jaguar, PPG, Nature’s Bakery, Transworld Motocross, Electric Bike Action, Magura, and FlyRides
“What can I say? I am a racer at heart, no matter the machine! The Boogaloo series we came up with Bosch is the most fun I’ve had on a bike, in years!” said Troy Lee, Founder and President of Troy Lee Designs. “Combining my love of bicycles and a unique one-of-a-kind race event all in one venue, and putting them on at some cool new resorts in the mountains is amazing to educate people about these bikes. I am also really excited for the eDuro Boogaloo at the season finale! Stoked to bring the love of these pedal-assist class 1 eMTBs to the trails.”
“Both Boogaloo races last year were a blast for riders, spectators, and the many tourists that recreate at these beautiful resorts, so we wanted to grow it this year to include more venues, more racers, and more opportunities to demo an eBike,” said Claudia Wasko, General Manager of Bosch eBike Systems Americas.
In advance of the Snow Summit and Mammoth Mountain Boogaloos, both resorts will host a special “Lunch, Learn, & Ride” event with local eMTB dealers and land managers to learn about eMTBs and their responsible use on natural surface trails (May 29th Snow Summit, May 31st Mammoth). Both resorts are located on land managed by the U.S. Forest Service.
To register for a Boogaloo race, visit www.tldboschboogaloo.com.