The latest innovation in rear suspension from Cane Creek has debuted. Meet the DBcoil [IL] shock and VALT lightweight spring. The streamlined “in line” coil shock is designed specifically for shorter-mid travel bikes.
Born of a desire to bridge the performance gap between trail bikes and long travel downhill rockets, the new DBcoil[IL] has the same function of an external reservoir coil shock, but in a lighter and sleeker package. Price is $550.
The idea is to lessen the sacrifice of carrying the extra weight of a coil shock in order to get the performance and consistency. The linear nature and off-the-top sensitivity of a coil spring makes it a solid choice in terms of smoothness and feel, while improved heat dissipation provides greater endurance. Ironically, the DBcoil
[IL] had a tough start.
“This shock almost never left the R&D lab,” revealed Cane Creek design engineer Brandon Blakely.
Indeed, in its early stages of development, the DBcoil [IL] was a dismissed project deemed not worth pursuing. That didn’t stop Blakely from chasing the idea on his own in the evenings after work. A few weeks later, he showed up on a ride with a mashed together first version DBCOIL [IL]. It weighed substantially less than similar shocks, looked interesting, and had that muted coil shock sensation coupled with Twin Tube capability.
A small run of shock prototypes were then sent out into the field. These returned with excellent feedback, thus bringing this rebel shock to life.
Now the DBcoil [IL] offers the same unique features as Double Barrel shocks, including climbing damping, Twin Tube suspension technology, and 4-way adjustability.
Complementing this innovation is the new VALT lightweight spring option ($130). Designed to be as light as possible without sacrificing action or durability, the high quality steel in VALT allows for less material to be used in the coils, claims Cane Creek. Thus riders can enjoy the performance benefit and consistency without taking on the weight penalty. The large inner diameter of the VALT means it will fit Cane Creek shocks and most other shock options on the market.
The DBcoil [IL] and VALT springs are available now and will be spec’d on select 2017 Ghost models.
- Twin-Tube design: Oil circulates continuously through externally adjustable shock valves. On the trail, this routing of oil translates into less fade, more control, and greater consistency.
- Four-Way independent adjustment: Like other Double Barrel shocks, the DBcoil[IL] offers a wide range of adjustability through external adjusters that independently control each phase of damping without crossover effects.
- Patented climb switch technology: When engaged, both low-speed compression and low-speed rebound damping settings are altered simultaneously to achieve improved pedal efficiency and less chassis motion while maximizing traction.
- Base tunes and the DIALED App: Cane Creek’s online tune finder provides riders with frame-specific recommended settings based on bike geometry and rider input. From there, riders can fine tune their suspension for personal styles and preferences using Cane Creek’s free mobile tuning app DIALED.
- Claimed weight: 285 grams (216 x 63 damper only)
For more info please visit www.canecreek.com.