Check out our gallery of photos of the production version of the Ripley.
Update September 6, 2011:Video of eccentric pivots in action has been added.
Here is a great video that explains how the eccentric pivots work.
The Ibis 29er has finally been announced. It is the Ripley 29er and it is a full suspension design that features 120 mm of DW-Link travel. Ibis has been working on this design for the last three years and has had to invent and re-invent several things in the process. Rather than simply coming out with 29er version of the Mojo or the Tranny, Ibis went long and came out with a completely new design. They felt that the 29er market was getting increasingly crowded and they wanted to come out with a special 29er, worthy of the Ibis brand.
One of the design objectives was low weight and that drove key parts of this project. They wanted to make it lightweight and efficient so they pursued a design that was simpler, lighter and took full advantage of leading-edge technologies. The heart of the system is the eccentric pivots that replace the Lopes Links found in the Mojo designs. These pivots use Norglide bearings (look like plastic fiber) and they enable free, correct movement of the rear suspension arm. They save 130 grams compared to the Lopes Links.
We are intrigued and excited to hear about this latest creation from Hans Heim and the Ibis team. We’ll learn a lot more as we get to see and ride this bad boy in the hills of Santa Cruz, CA.
We’re still looking for the hardtail 29er Tranny though 🙂
A couple key stats:
Head Angle: 70 degrees w/ 120mm fork and 68.5 with 140mm
Chainstay Length: 17.5 inches
Bottom bracket height (w/ 2.1″ tires): 12.8″ w/ 120mm fork and 13.25″ with 140mm
Ripley 29 Features:
- 120mm rear wheel dw-link travel
- 5.0 Pound frame with X Fusion Microlite Shock, 5.2 lbs with Fox RP23 CTD
- Approved for 120-140mm forks, 32 or 34 stanchion
- Tapered head tube (suitable for various Cane Creeks & Chris King InSet 3)
- Internal TT cable routing with molded carbon cable stops
- Shock Specs: 184mm x 44mm with .4 volume spacer
- Provision for cable-actuated adjustable seat posts
- BB92/Press GXP style integrated BB
- 142mm Maxle rear axle
- 160mm carbon fiber post mount rear brake mounts
- High direct mount front derailleur mounts directly on swingarm
- Headset: IS ZS44/28.6 | EC49/40
- BB height w/ 2.1″ tires: 325mm (12.8″)
- Geometry measured with 520.8mm axle to crown fork
For more info: https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripley_29er/