SRAM has made huge strides in its wheel development. They’ve dissected every part of the wheel system and improved all the components. They’re not very wide yet but the engineering is now very sound with the RAIL line of wheels. Performance and affordability are in the forefront as well.
With the popularity of All Mountain riding and Enduro racing, the RAIL line of wheels aims for this sweet spot with a line of tires that is reasonably light, rugged and affordable. Weight is around 1800 grams for a wheelset and price will float around $700. This is a pretty compelling price/performance ratio for a wheelset that is designed to take a beating.
The ratchet is now bullet-proof with a fairly quick 52 points of engagement. Spokes, wheel-build are all first rate as they are mated with a quality rim. Bearings are robust and the tubeless system works and doesn’t call attention to itself.
So color as impressed with the strides that SRAM has taken in the wheel arena. Not only can they make great $2k+ carbon wheels, these wheels for the rest of us deliver great performance as well. The internal rim width on this is not the latest crop of wide rims with the RAIL 40 measuring in at 23mm. But we’re fairly sure those are coming as well.
Jerome Clementz is a key data point for SRAM’s wheel development. He uses the RAIL wheels as part of his arsenal for attacking any Enduro World Series course.
Official Product Description
Ready to attack, easy to maneuver. Built for aggressive All-Mountain descents, RAIL wheels balance the strength and stiffness you need with the lightness to climb quickly back to the top.
With Wide Angle rim design providing superior stability, RAIL 40 can withstand the most aggressive All-Mountain / Enduro riding by setting a new benchmark for stiffness in its category. Featuring the perfect balance of strength, lightweight and width for enduro terrain, RAIL 40 delivers high performance ride quality all the way down.
- Solo Spoke
- Taper Core
- Wide Angle
- Double Time
- XD Driver Body
- Available in 27.5” and 29”
- Lightweight but strong aluminum rim, asymmetrical profile with Taper Core technology. Welded joint
- UST Tubeless
- Wide Angle profile—23mm
- Solo Spoke — double butted spokes
- Double Time ratchet mechanism for durable, quick engagement—Speedball bearings
- Convertible axles: Front Hub: QR 9×100, QR Torque Caps, 15×100, 15×100 Torque Caps, 20×110, 15×110, 15×110 Torque Caps / Rear Hub: QR 10×135, 12×135,12×135 XD, 12×142, 12×142 XD,12×148, 12×148 XD
- Available in XD™ or 10-sp driver body
- Boost 148 compatible
- Weight: 1810g (27.5”), 1900g (29”) Wheel pair in lightest configuration
For more information visit www.sram.com.