1×11 may be the one the best game changers to come around this decade but there has been a common request. “We want lower gears.” The smallest front ring for XX1 is 28 tooth and the for X0 and X1, it is only 30 tooth. 30t may work for most but folks with bigger wheels, heavier bikes, steeper mountains and more rider mass are often heard clamoring for lower gears.
The reason for the chainring minimum sizing limitations is the spider technology used to attach the chainring to the crank only had so much room to accomodate the carrier and the chainring bolts. So to address this, they’ve designed a new spiderless or ‘direct mount’ technology. Along the way, they’ve paid close attention to the reliability and stiffness of the system.
SRAM X-SYNC Official Press Release
Make SRAM 1x even better with the simplicity of the new SRAM X-SYNC Direct Mount chainring. Engineered in Germany, the new Direct Mount rings bring lighter weight and greater simplicity to XX1, X01 and X1-1400 cranksets. SRAM’s Direct Mount rings give riders the perfect opportunity for a serious upgrade.
After market cranksets ship with a 32T X-SYNC Direct Mount chainring.
- X1 1400 compatible
- Fully CNC AL rings
- X-SYNC technology
- Lighter weight than spider version (~25-50g depending on size)
- Sizes: 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40
- Weights: GXP – 61g (26T), 66g (28T), 68g (30T), 71g (32T), 76g (34T), 91g (36T), 101g (38T), 119g (40T). BB30 – 52g (26T), 58g (28T), 61g (30T), 66g (32T), 71g (34T), 82g (36T), 94g (38T), 106g (40T).
- SRAM X-SYNC 1x chainrings provide the highest level of performance and durability in the market
- The SRAM X-SYNC tall square teeth edges engage the chain earlier than traditional triangle shaped teeth
- The sharp and narrow tooth profile, as well as rounded chamfer edges, help manage a deflected chain
- To provide the best possible performance in muddy conditions, the X-SYNC chainrings have been designed with mud-clearing recesses for the inner chain links and rollers
- Engineered in Germany, X-SYNC rings are an integral part of the SRAM 1x drivetrain. Accept no imitation.
Pricing and Availability
X-SYNC Direct Mount Chainring – 30-, 32-, 34-Tooth Options: $99 (USD); €88 (EU); £75 (GBP)
Available December: 30, 32, 34 sizes
Available April: 26, 28, 36, 38, 40 sizes
For more information visit www.sram.com.