If you’re turned off by current bike prices, this bit of news will bring a smile to your face. This week, Niner expanded its Jet 9 trail bike line-up to include a budget-friendly $2600 alloy option to go along with the current carbon frame offerings.
The new 1x-only set-up features a SRAM NX1 crankset with 32t direct mount narrow wide chainring, 73mm bottom bracket threaded shell, and ISCG 05 tabs for chain retention devices. It also has boost spacing front and rear so you can run a standard 29er set-up or bump up to 27.5 plus tires. Wheels are Niner alloy, fork is a RockShox Yari 130mm, and the shock is RockShox Monarch. It does not come with a dropper post, but has both internal and external routing if you decided to upgrade.
Read the Mtbr review of the Niner RKT 9 RDO XC race bike.
Niner claims that the boost spacing changes the bike’s suspension kinematics, paving the way for longer travel while achieving shorter, stiffer chainstays, which are 434mm across all five frame sizes, XS to XL.
Overall dimensions lean toward longer reach on the frames so you can run shorter stems for quicker steering input. Likewise, the shorter chainstays allow for fast acceleration and playful pop. But to keep the overall feel of the bike well rounded and to ensure efficient climbing and pedaling, Niner steepened the seat tube angle to 74.5 degrees. This keeps the rider centered in the bike when climbing.
The Jet 9 alloy’s 120mm of rear suspension is built around Niner’s patented Constantly Varying Arc (CVA) suspension, which is optimized around 29er wheels. The 130mm of front suspension results in a 67.5-degree head angle.
Key Features and Tech Specs
- Niner CVA suspension design with 120mm of rear travel
- Revised geometry optimized for trail riding
- Boost 148x12mm rear spacing
- Compatible with 29×2.4” tires or 27.5+ tires up to 3.0”
- Internal and external dropper post routing
- 30.9mm seat post, 400mm length recommended, 34.9mm clamp
- BSA threaded 73mm bottom bracket with ISCG 05 mounts
- Zero stack headset included
- All sizes have 1 bottle mount inside front triangle
- SRAM recommended 2x boost chain rings: 26/39t or lower
- Shimano XT M8000 boost recommended 2x chain rings: 28/38t or lower
- Shimano XTR M9020 boost recommended 1x chain ring: 36T or lower
For more info please visit www.ninerbikes.com.