After years of complete dedication to 29ers, Niner is getting in the plus game, as it rolls out fully revised versions of its popular Rip 9 RDO and Jet 9 RDO trail bikes. Both will be available in the usual 2- through 5-star 29er builds. But now you can also order them spec’d with 27.5+ set-ups with max tire size of 3.0”.
Niner has also jumped on the boost train, adding the wider spacing to both bikes, which in turn has allowed for shorter chainstays: 439mm for the Rip, 434mm for the Jet. The new Rip 9 is built around a 150mm rear suspension platform, which is paired with a 160mm fork in 29er form, or a burly 170mm when you opt for plus. The Jet comes in at 120mm in the rear with a 130mm fork on the 29er builds, and 140mm for plus.
As you’d expect, head angles are slacked out. The Rip is a rangy 67 degrees, while the Jet comes in at 67.5. Niner also steepened the seat tube angles on both bikes, which is designed to keep the rider in a more balanced position going up or down.
Build costs range from $4500 to $9800. The top-of-the-line 5-star Rip 9 RDO comes with SRAM Eagle X01 drivetrain, SRAM Guide Ultimate Carbon brakes, Fox 36 Float Factory Fit fork, and ENVE M70 HV carbon wheels.
At the other end of the price spectrum is the $4500 2-star Jet 9 RDO with Shimano SLX drivetrain and brakes, RockShox Pike fork, and Niner alloy wheels. Click through to page 2 and page 4 for a complete breakdown of available spec and pricing. To learn more about both bikes check out the photos below, starting with the new Niner Rip 9 RDO.
Niner Rip 9 RDO Key Features
- Redesigned frame uses RDO Carbon Compaction
- Niner’s patented CVA suspension design delivers 150mm of rear travel
- Revised geometry is optimized for modern trail riding
- Boost 148 x 12 mm rear spacing for optimum power transfer, geometry, and wheel stiffness
- Compatible with 29×2.5” tires or 27.5 plus tires up to 3.0”
- Internal and external dropper post routing
- 30.9mm seat post, 400mm length recommended, 34.9mm clamp
- BSA threaded 73mm bottom bracket with ISCG 05 mounts
- Zero stack headset included
- Electronic drivetrain wiring friendly including integrated battery storage in frame