With SRAM’s recent announcement that the front derailleur is dead in the world of mountain biking, it seems only appropriate to follow-up with news of yet a wider option 1x option. Meet the new OneUp Components Shark 10-50t set-up, which it’s calling the widest range 11-speed 1x system ever thanks to a whopping 500% gear range.
The OneUp Shark is a set of modular upgrades for Shimano 11-speed mountain bike cassettes that extends the range of a stock 11-42t cassette by nearly a third with the addition of a 50t sprocket and cage kit, a 10t cluster, or both. The idea is that you can build the ideal cassette for your trails and abilities. The converted 11-50t cassette is the widest range available that uses a standard freehub body, says OneUp.
Read about Shimano’s new 11-46 cassette.
The Shark 50t sprocket and cage kit has an MSRP of $125. Here’s a rundown of key metrics and features of the new set-up:
- Cassette progression with 50t: 11,13,15,18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 37, 42, 50
- Sprocket material: 7075-T6 aluminum (50t), nickel plated hardened steel (18t)
- Compatibility: XT M8000 11-42t cassettes
- Compatibility for Shimano 11-40: Use the OneUp 45t sprocket
- Freehub requirement: Standard freehub
- Colors: Grey or green
- Shark cage Tech specs: Pulley offset 50% more than stock
- Compatibility: Shimano Shadow+ 11-speed rear derailleur
- Colors: Grey or grey/green
At the other end of the spectrum, if you are looking to add more top end gearing, OneUp is offering its new Shark 10-12t cluster and OneUp mini-driver. This adds 10% of range on an 11-speed Shimano mountain cassette. OneUp collaborated with Hope Technology to develop this non-proprietary, freehub body standard that accepts a 10t sprocket.
This shortened version of a standard freehub is available for Hope, Stan’s and DT Swiss hubs with more coming soon, says OneUp. Because the mini-driver open standard is not guarded by patents, production of inexpensive 10t equipped cassettes is possible.
MSRP for the nickel plated cluster with green lockring is $45. The OneUp DT star ratchet compatible mini-driver is $40. Here’s a rundown of key metrics and features:
- 10t cluster kit contains: 10-12 cluster, 14t and 15t
- Cassette progression (11-40 Shimano converted to 10-40): 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 27, 31, 35, 40
- Cassette progression (11-42 Shimano converted to 10-42): 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 28, 32, 37, 42
- Compatibility: Shimano 11-speed 11-40, 11-42; OneUp’d Shimano 11-45, 11-50
- Freehub requirement: OneUp mini-driver (or compatible)
- Mini-driver length: 4.5mm shorter than a standard freehub
For more info visit www.oneupcomponents.com.