We got a look at the all new Pivot Cycles Mach 429 at the Bike Press Camp event in Park City, Utah. Chris Cocalis, Founder of Pivot, explained that he took the best features of the Mach 429 SL and combined that with the hugely popular Mach 6 to create an All Mountain Trail category of bike with enough performance to “make you forget about wheel size”. With 116mm of travel, the DW-link suspension design is matched to a bike with a slack front end and a short rear end to keep the bike nimble and to help avoid the “sluggish” feeling that so many riders complain about when trying to flick a 29er around.
In this highlight video, Chris Cocalis goes over the design and purpose of this new bike.
The Mach 429 Trail uses the new Boost 148 axle spacing in the rear to keep things stiff. The frame is Pivot’s own hollow core, internal, high compression carbon molding construction and the frame weight is 5.9 lbs including shock for a size medium.
For those of you who are curious about the new Plus size wheels, you will be happy to know that the new Mach 429 Trail is 27.5+ compatible. Also on the cutting edge, this bike is the first production bike to use Shimano’s all new side-swing 2X front derailleur system. Of course, there are 1x options available as well.
Mach 429 Trail Features
- Full carbon frame featuring leading edge carbon fiber materials and Pivot’s proprietary hollow core internal molding technology.
- New 12 x 148mm Boost rear spacing for maximum stiffness and control.
- Designed to work with forks from 120-130mm in travel.
- Fox Float DPS shock, performance tuned for the Mach 429 Trail.
- 29-inch wheels for the fastest laps and superior rollover in technical terrain.
- 27.5”+ capable!
- Easy to use mix of external and internal cable routing with Pivot’s internal cable port system.
- Internal dropper post compatible.
- Cold forged alloy linkages with Enduro Max Cartridge Bearings.
- Highly durable rubberized leather downtube and swingarm protection.
- Pivot’s innovative new mid-travel linkage design.
- 116mm of renowned dw-link® suspension tuned for trail handling. (truly feels like a 100mm bike when climbing and a 130mm bike when descending)
- Post mount disc brake mounts for precision and weight savings.
- PF92 bottom bracket for light weight, durability and ease of maintenance. Co-designed by Pivot Cycles and Shimano, now the industry-leading standard for high-end mountain bikes.
- New Pivot removable front derailleur mount for a clean frame design with 1X and perfect front shifting with Shimano’s side-swing 2X system.
- Medium frame weight: 5.9lbs including shock.
- Available in sizes S, M, L, XL for riders between 5’4″ and 6’7″.