With cross country courses growing more demanding and technical features becoming more decisive in the race, manufacturers are starting to respond with geometry that excels in such conditions. The Olympics are right around the corner, and it looks like Pivot Cycles is ready for all the action, releasing the all-new Mach 4 SL. Explicitly designed to let World Cup level athletes capitalize on every inch of increasingly technical courses and generate speed, Pivot claims this is the lightest, fastest 100mm travel XC race bike they’ve ever developed – and if you’ve ridden its predecessor – the Mach 429SL – you understand how bold of a claim that is.
Starting at 1845 grams or 4.05 lbs for the frame, the Mach 4 SL takes a front row seat in the XC full suspension category and has the best stiffness to weight ratios Pivot claims they’ve ever created. The new Mach 4SL is over 300 grams lighter than its predecessor, the Mach 429 SL.
“The Mach 4 SL is a total cross country rocket ship,” says Pivot Cycles President and CEO, Chris Cocalis. “We wanted to give our athletes every advantage possible in the upcoming Olympic year. With the development of the Mach 4SL we exceeded all our weight and performance targets. This one really takes both the Mach 4’s light weight and agility as well as the Mach 429SL’s speedy heritage to an entirely new performance level. The bike just flat out rips.”
Fox Live Valve integration gives the Mach 4 SL progressive cross country suspension. Pivot claims the efficiency benefits are undeniable, and the speed gained on every part of the course is truly mind-blowing. The shock layout may be different, but the 100mm travel DW-link suspension keeps its familiar ride qualities with solid pedaling efficiency, reactive to impacts under power, and fully active while braking – everything that is important in a XC race bike.
The Mach 4 SL fits the widest range of riders and all genders without compromising ride characteristics. The new extra-small size fits riders down to 4”10” with a lower standover height than the Mach 4 Carbon with 27.5” wheels. “With the Mach 4 SL I still have room for handlebar height adjustment and spacers under my stem… I’ve never had that on a 29er before,” says 5’2” Stan’s Pivot athlete, Chloe Woodruff. “and my size XS frame still fits a large water bottle!” The Mach 4 SL comes with a slacker head angle, longer reach and shorter stays for a whole new feel and confidence on the fast, tricky descents that have become increasingly common on World Cup cross country courses.
• Frame weight starting at 1845 grams (4 lb.) and 20.9 lb. (9.4kg) complete- (size medium with XTR World Cup Build)
• 100mm of renowned dw-link® suspension tuned for XC race and trail performance
• Designed to work with 100-120mm travel forks
• Full Fox Live Valve integration
• World Cup caliber full carbon frame featuring leading edge materials and
Pivot’s proprietary Hollow Core Internal Molding Technology
• Progressive XC geometry for the most demanding World Cup courses
• 29-inch wheels for the fastest laps and superior rollover in technical
• Full length internal cable routing via Pivot’s exclusive, easy-to-maintain
Cable Port System
• Internal dropper post compatible
• Large water bottle fits inside all size frames – even XS. XL frame fits 2
bottles inside the front triangle.
• Fox Kashima Factory shock, custom-tuned specifically for the Mach 4 SL
• Available in sizes XS, S, M, L, XL for riders between 4’10” and 6’7″
Pricing, Specifications, and Availability:
The new Mach 4 SL will be available in three color options—Team Blue, Cherry, and Stealth. It is available as a frame, frame kit, and a complete bike in multiple configurations, ranging from $4,600 to $11,300 USD. The Mach 4 SL is available now, in all sizes, at key Pivot Dealers worldwide.
For more info pivotcycles.com