With its 60 birthday this year, Scott is having a little retro fun. At the recent World Cup cross-country race in Val di Sole, Italy, the Swiss bike maker presented reigning Olympic XC champion Nino Schurter with a throwback Spark RC 900 World Cup. Of course Schurter obliged in style, winning his 29th World Cup race. Schurter now leads the overall World Cup standings with 1130 points ahead of Mathieu van der Poel (820 points), who was third.
The bike’s green and orange design dates back to the 1990s era Scott Pro Racing model. But that’s about all the two steeds had in common. The current Spark is a 100% race-dedicated full-suspension weapon that’s light and stiff.
Frame and shock weigh a wispy 1779 grams (including hardware) and is made of 752 single ply HMX carbon fiber layers put together by hand.
Read the Mtbr long term review of the Scott Spark 900.
The heart of the frame is the Trunnion mount where the shock body extends between the two lower mounting bolts, which results in more stroke for the same eye-to-eye length. The shorter shock enables a compact frame and shock package that integrates tightly to the seat tube.
Scott’s Pro Racing model, on the other hand, dates back 1990 when it was one of the premier mountain bikes. Here’s the original catalog description:
Pro Racing technology: Tange Prestige tubes. Vantage Comp Rims with 32 spokes and Ritchey Megabite Hard drive tires. Shimano XT group with round chainrings, Hyperglide, Superglide and 21 speed. Handmade at the welding seams. Plain racing-green.
Complete Spec: Scott Pro Racing Bike
- Frame: Tange Prestige Cro Moly Tapered triple Butted Tubing
- Fork: Cr-Mo Tange
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore XT BB-M730
- Front Chainwheel: Shimano Deore XT FC-M730-SG (175mm, silver), Black-SG
- Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT FD-M730
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT RD-M735-SG
- Shifting Levers: ST-M091 3×7 STI
- Cassette: Shimano Deore XT CS-M730
- Chain: Shimano CN-HG70
- Brakes: Shimano Deore XT BR-M732 Cantilever (silver)
- Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT ST-M091
- Rims: Araya CV-7
- Hubs: Shimano Deore XT HB-M730, FH-M732
- Pedals: Shimano Deore XT PD-M735
- Saddle: Fizik Titanium ultra-light
- Handlebar: TTT MTB Compe aloy, very light
- Stem: Ritchey Force
Complete Spec: Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup
- Frame: Scott Spark RC 900 Carbon HMX SL Custom
- Fork: RockShox SID World Cup Carbon / Boost / 100mm
- Rear Shock: RockShox Deluxe Black Box / 100mm
- Remote: Scott TwinLoc
- Headset: Syncros FL1.5 / TIB bearing
- Stem: Syncros XR1.5 / -25° (Nino), 90mm
- Handlebar: Syncros FL1.0 SL Carbon T-Bar /-5mm rise / 9° / 680mm
- Seatpost: Syncros FL1.0 SL Carbon / 10mm seatback
- Saddle: Syncros XR1.0 SL Carbon (narrow)
- Grip: Syncros Silicon
- Pedals: Ritchey WCS v6
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX1 Eagle Gold
- Shifter: SRAM XX1 Eagle Gold
- Crank Set: SRAM XX1 Carbon Eagle 175mm Q-168mm 38T
- Chain: SRAM XX1 Eagle Gold
- Cassette: SRAM XX1 Eagle Gold / 10-52T
- Brakes: SRAM Level Ultimate
- Wheels: DT Swiss XRC 1200 Spline 25 Carbon 29er
- Tubulars: Maxxis Aspen 29″x2.25 170TPI EXO TR 50ml sealant
- Bottle Cage: Topeak shuttle cage carbon
- Computer: Garmin Edge 130
To learn more head to www.scott-sports.com.