Evolving its top-of-the-line mountain bike footwear models for the 2019 cross country and enduro racing season, Shimano has announced updated versions of its S-PHYRE XC9 cross country and ME7 enduro shoes. Both new models share new features and upgrades while still utilizing select features and elements of the previous generation models. These new 2019 footwear models are designed to pair with the just announced 2019 XTR M9100 Race and Trail pedals.
New advancements include the upper of both shoes now use strategically cut and placed perforations that aid in both breathability and fit. A look at the perforated microfiber upper shows how Shimano Lifestyle Gear division engineers varied the shape, size, and location of perforations to yield the right breathability and shielding from dirt while also creating elasticity that aids in comfort and the ability to accommodate a wider range of feet. The new ME7 also replaces mesh with a new perforated upper.
Another addition to the upper is the use of armor that has been redesigned and reinforced in both the XC9 and ME7 shoes. Shimano continues to utilize the same Michelin technical outsoles in both shoes as well as BOA enclosure systems in the new XC9.
ME7 Refined for Enduro Racing
Studying rider usage habits, incorporating feedback from top EWS athletes and factoring in enduro racing trends, Shimano’s footwear engineers improved the ME7 with new features and made special efforts to accommodate a wide range of feet with a new last design.
- New perforated synthetic leather upper optimizes comfort, fit and breathability
- New Volume+ last enables ultra-wide range of feet sizes (38-50)
- Improved ventilation and durability from new perforated upper design
- New low profile reverse buckle tucked even further from obstacles
- Revised, reinforced armor boosts protection and durability
- New sealed cleat area keeps water out, aids drying
- Shimano’s TORBAL technology provides more natural sideways flex in the back section of the sole to accommodate all-mountain riding style
- Stretch Neoprene ankle collar offers additional protection from trail debris
- Speed lacing system adapts to wide range of foot shapes with a secure fit
- Extra-cushion insole
- Michelin high-performance, dual-density rubber outsole offers superior traction with unmatched durability, stability, and slip resistance
- Price: $200
- Claimed Weight: 400g (size 42)
- Stiffness: 8
- Sizing: 38, 39, 40, 41-46(half sizes), 47, 48, 49, 50
S-PHYRE XC9 Improved for XC and Cross Racing
Shimano’s cross country mountain bike and cyclocross racing shoe improves for 2019 thanks to features focused on improving the fit, breathability and durability in the upper.
- New perforated microfiber leather upper optimizes comfort, fit and breathability
- Improved toe box durability from armor expanding outward of metatarsal foot area and reinforced toe bumper
- Smooth, clean appearance and second-skin fit consistent with S-PHYRE footwear from new perforated upper design
- New Electric Green color
- Shimano DYNALAST optimized ergonomic outsole creates more powerful and energy efficient pedaling
- Low stack height sole helps stabilize foot during the downward pedaling stroke
- A one-piece surround upper, narrow bottom, rounded heel and slim toe box provide a glove-like fit
- Dual independent BOA IP1 dials allow quick and precise micro adjustment
- Asymmetric eyestay pattern prevents twisting of foot under high power pedaling
- Proprietary Michelin outsole minimizes weight, and offers increased traction
- Price: $400
- Claimed Weight: 330g
- Stiffness: 11
- Colors: Blue, Black, Electric Green
- Sizing: Blue & Black 38,39,40~47 half sizes / 40~48 wide; Electric Green size range 38-48 whole sizes only
For more information, visit bike.shimano.com.