SRAM’s trail wheel line-up has expanded, with a new carbon 29er rim joining the mix. Featuring the rapid engagement of the company’s Double Time hub, the new Roam 50’s stiffer, wider-profile carbon rim is billed as offering a new level of responsiveness, predictability, and speed. MSRP Price is $1298 for the set ($599 front, $699 rear).
The wheels are laced 2-cross with 24 spokes front and rear, and have a middle of the road 25mm internal rim width. Claimed wheelset weight is 1655g when set-up non-boost and XD driver. Boost spacing and Shimano freehub compatibility are also available. The wheels’ finish is unidirectional carbon fiber with matte clear coat and bake-on labels. A separate decal pack is also included, and has 6 color sticker packs to match your wheels to your bike, be that red, blue, green, yellow, orange, or red-orange. The rims are hookless and tubeless ready.
Switching axles is also simple thanks to threadless side caps that can be installed and replaced by hand. And the left side cap is identical to the right one, so no need to figure out where each cap goes. The wheels are feature Solo Spike, which is SRAM’s way of saying that the wheel design eliminates the need for different spoke lengths — one size fits the entire wheel. This identical-length design means never wondering whether you have the right front/rear/drive-side/nondrive-side spoke handy.
Meanwhile, the Double Time hub has a straight-aligned, four-pawl design that turns the 26-tooth ratchet ring into 52 points of contact. These four-pawl hubs have sealed cartridge bearings and 6-bolt disc rotor attachment. The result, SRAM says, is smooth 6.9-degree engagement without reducing tooth size or offsetting internal geometry, which means improved long-term durability. Axle compatibility is QR, 15x100mm front/12×142 rear, or Boost 15x110mm/12×148.
Specs and Features
- Size: 29”
- Spoke Count: 24
- Spoke Pattern: 2 Cross
- Spoke Type: Bladed, Double-Butted 2.0 to 1.8mm
- Finish: Unidirectional carbon fiber / matte clear coat / bake-on labels / decal pack included
- Internal rim width: 25mm
- Weight: (Front 15×100 765g) (Rear 12×142 XD 890g) (Pair 1,655g)
- Rim: Carbon Clincher, hookless tubeless-ready asymmetrical profile
- Hubs: DOUBLE TIME—Four pawl, SPEEDBALL sealed cartridge bearings, 6-bolt disc
- Fully featured carbon wheels designed for trail riders
- 25mm internal rim width
- Hookless, tubeless-ready rim
- DOUBLE TIME hubs for quick engagement
- Includes 6-color sticker pack to match your wheels to your bike—Red/Blue/ Green/Yellow/Orange/Red-Orange
- External Nipples: Aluminum
- Cassette compatibility: SRAM XD, SRAM/Shimano MTB
For more info please visit www.sram.com.