Portland-based Yakima has updated some of its most popular racks, improved its tailgate pad, and launched a cool camo version of its SkyRise rooftop tent. Here are all the critical details, launch dates, and prices straight from the Interbike trade show in Las Vegas.
Video: Yakima BackSwing, GateKeeper, HoldUp Evo, SkyRise tent, and more
Hauling bikes behind your car or truck shouldn’t mean not being able to get to your tailgate or trunk. With Yakima’s new BackSwing mechanism, it’s never been easier. Simply pop up the security pin and your rack swings out of the way. This $299 add-on device works with any Yakima (or most other brand’s) rack and holds up to 250 pounds, meaning you can haul four bikes. Availability is set for spring 2018.
Also new from Yakima is the GateKeeper tailgate pad, which includes several key updates from the previous version, including padded individual bike cradles and a window cutout so you can still use your vehicle’s back-up camera. The GateKeeper comes in 5- and 6-bike versions and sells for $139 and $149 respectively. Availability is set for February 2018.
Yakima has also added fat bike-carrying capability to its HoldUp tray rack. The new HoldUp Evo can carry the fattest of fat tire bikes, is lock secured, and has both a pull lever and kick plate so it’s easy to raise or lower the rack out of the way. Price is $499 and it too will be available starting in February 2018. You can also get a single bike version of this rack for $259.
Finally, Yakima is launching a co-branded (with fellow Portlanders Poler) camouflage-version of its popular SkyRise rooftop tent. It will only be available in a 2-person version and comes with a ladder, rain fly, and mattress. New camping accessories include a shoe bag, gear net, fitted sheets, and even an LED lighting system. These are all sold separately.
Gallery: Yakima BackSwing, GateKeeper, HoldUp Evo, SkyRise tent, and more
Yakima HoldUp EVO
Yakima Dr. Tray
Yakima SlimShady Awning
- Universal mounting hardware fits most roof racks.
- Provides 42 square feet of sun and weather protection
- Rolls into a 6.5 foot wide case when not in use, leaving tons of room on your roof rack for other gear
- 420D nylon fabric with PU coating is light, durable and waterproof
- Easy to pitch – just pull it out, prop it up and settle in
- Super-simple attachment – no tools required
- Includes locks to roof rack with SKS Lock Cores for added security
Yakima SkyRise Rooftop Tent Camo
- Two size options provide room for Two in a (Small) or Three in a (Medium) size.
- Easy to pitch design means less work and more play
- Thick, 2.5” wall-to-wall foam mattress provides cushy comfort
- Mattress includes removable cover for easy cleaning
- Made from the same lightweight and breathable materials as backcountry tents - 210D nylon
- Mesh panel improves ventilation and provides a view of the starry skies
- 210D nylon rainfly with PU coating protects you from the elements
- Aluminum poles are light, strong and pre-set to make pitching a breeze
- Tool-free vehicle mounts – no bolts required – means it’s easy to put on and quick to take off
- Locks to roof rack with SKS Lock Cores (included) for added security
- Ladder and all hardware are included for easy set up